Saturday, October 08, 2016

*A "Honky Tonk Man" Encore- A Tribute To The Musical Genius Of Hank Williams

Click On Title To Link To YouTube's Film Clip Of Hank Williams Doing "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry".

DVD Review

In The Hank Williams Tradition Hank Williams, Jr. and various artists, White Star Productions, 2002


In a May 2009 review of a Hank Williams 50th Anniversary of his death tribute album, “Timeless”, and in a September 2009 review of the informative and balanced, “Honky-Tonk Blues”, a PBS "American Masters” production of the life and times of one of the legends of American roots music -country and western branch I made the following comments most of which are germane to this 2002 tribute album to him from various artists who worked with him or were influenced by his music:

“A musical performer knows that he or she has arrived when they have accumulated enough laurels and created enough songs to be worthy, at least in some record producer's eyes, of a tribute album. When they are also alive to accept the accolades as two out of the four of the artists under review are, which in these cases is only proper, that is all to the good. That said, not all tribute albums are created equally. Some are full of star-studded covers, others are filled with lesser lights that have been influenced by the artist that they are paying tribute to. As a general proposition though I find it a fairly rare occurrence, as I have noted in a review of the “Timeless” tribute album to Hank Williams, that the cover artist outdoes the work of the original recording artist. With that point in mind I will give my “skinny” on the cover artists here……

And that is the essential point that separates the musical greats like Hank Williams from the transitory stars of the day. Over fifty years after his death his songs, heartfelt, tragic, depressive, and on a few occasions whimsical still “speak” to musicians and modern listeners alike. His life‘s story, as told here through commentary by those who knew and worked with him, including various members of his “Drifting Cowboys” back-up bands, his widow, his son and grandson Hank II and III respectively, his stepdaughter and various other hometown folks, musical collaborators and music historians unrolls very much like a....Hank Williams ballad. And that again is the point-here is a case where life and art are not far apart....”

I also mentioned the following which also applies here as the various performers, including son Hank Williams, Jr., give their takes on the meaning of his music, some of the specifics of the ups and downs of his too short and troubled life and his permanent place in the American Songbook:

“Since the music is what is eternal in this troubled man’s life let me finish up here with a reposting of that “Timeless” tribute album review mentioned above. It is that simple yet profound music that gives the essence of the man, his seemingly eternal marriage troubles (and some joys too, I think), his losing battle against drugs and alcohol and his search back for the happier days of his poor boy roots in Alabama after fame and fortune proved too narrow to satisfy whatever was eating at him inside.”

With all that build-up all that is left to do is mention some of the performers that give their comments and cover his songs here. Let me mention that I am not generally a country and western aficionado but from what I can tell this line-up is something of a who’s who of the last fifty years or so of this genre. That statement kind of says it all. Chet Atkins does an instrumental version of “So Lonesome I Could Die”. Roy Acuff sings and talks about Hank. Grand Ole Opry fixture Minnie Pearl just talks. Randy Travis and Ricky Skaggs sing out a couple of nice covers. Willie Nelson does a nice version of “My Bucket’s Got A Hole In It”. Waylon Jennings (“The News Is Out All Over Town”) and Kris Kristofferson (doing one of Hank’s recitation pieces) represent the “country outlaw” tradition (as does Willie) that is the catch that has always drawn this reviewer to Hank Williams. Emmylou Harris, as always, sparkles in a couple of songs. Hank Williams, Jr. does his own song about his take on the relationship between his mother and father and leads the all-cast finale. In short, this hour presentation crams in covers of virtually every well-known Williams song. Nice stuff, Hank Williams aficionado or not.

"COLD COLD HEART"

I tried so hard my dear to show that you're my every dream.
Yet you're afraid each thing I do is just some evil scheme
A memory from your lonesome past keeps us so far apart
Why can't I free your doubtful mind and melt your cold cold heart

Another love before my time made your heart sad and blue
And so my heart is paying now for things I didn't do
In anger unkind words are said that make the teardrops start
Why can't I free your doubtful mind,and melt your cold cold heart


"HONKY TONK BLUES"

[E]Well I left my home down on the rural route
I told my paw I'm going steppin out and get the
[A7] Honky tonk blues,
Yeah the honky tonk [E] blues
Well [B7] lord I got 'em,
I got the ho-on-ky tonk [E] blues.

[E] Well I went to a dance and I wore out my shoes
woke up this mornin wishin I could lose
them jumpin [A7] honky tonk blues,
Yeah the honky tonk [E]blues
Well [B7] lord I got 'em,
I got the ho-on-ky tonk [E] blues.

Solo [E] [A] [E] [B7]

[E]Well I stopped into every place in town
this city life has really got me down
I got [A7] the honky tonk blues,
Yeah the honky tonk [E]blues
Well [B7] lord I got em,
got the ho-on-ky tonk [E] blues.

[E] I'm gonna tuck my worries underneath my arm
And scat right back to my pappy's farm
And leave these [A7] honky tonk blues,
Yeah the honky tonk [E] blues
[B7] Well lord I got 'em,
I got the ho-on-ky tonk [E] blues.

unrecorded last verse (from KPFA, ~1993)

When I get home to my Ma and Pa,
I know they're gonna lay down the law.
About the honky tonk blues,
Them jumpin' honkty tonk blues.
Lord I'm suffrin' with the honky tonk blues.


You'll never know how much it hurts to see you sit and cry
You know you need and want my love yet you're afraid to try
Why do you run and hide from life,to try it just ain't smart
Why can't I free your doubtful mind and melt your cold cold heart

There was a time when I believed that you belonged to me
But now I know your heart is shackled to a memory
The more I learn to care for you,the more we drift apart
Why can't I free your doubtful mind and melt your cold cold heart


"HEY, GOOD LOOKIN'"

Words and music by Hank Williams, Sr.


Hey, [C] Hey, Good Lookin', whatcha got cookin'
[D7] How's about cookin' [G7] somethin' up with [C] me ... [G7]
[C] Hey, sweet baby, don't you think maybe
[D7] We could find us a [G7] brand new reci-[C] pe. ... [C7]

I got a [F] hot rod Ford and a [C] two dollar bill
And [F] I know a spot right [C] over the hill
[F] There's soda pop and the [C] dancin's free
So if you [D7] wanna have fun come a-[G7] long with me.

Say [C] Hey, Good Lookin', whatcha got cookin'
[D7] How's about cookin' [G7] somethin' up with [C] me.

I'm free and ready so we can go steady
How's about savin' all your time for me
No more lookin', I know I've been (*tooken)
How's about keepin' steady company.

I'm gonna throw my date book over the fence
And find me one for five or ten cents.
I'll keep it 'til it's covered with age
'Cause I'm writin' your name down on ev'ry page.

Say Hey, Good Lookin', whatcha got cookin'
How's about cookin' somethin' up with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment