Monday, March 22, 2010

*Notes from The Old Home Town- A Hats Off To Brother James C.

Click on the headline to link to a "Wikipedia" entry for the Catholic Worker movement.

Not all the entries in this space are connected to politics, although surely most of them can be boiled down into some political essence, if you try hard enough. The following is one of those instances where trying to gain any “political traction”, or as I am fond of saying drawing any “lessons” would be foolhardy. I should also note that this entry is part of a continuing, if sporadic, series of “trips down memory lane” provoked by a fellow high school classmate who has been charged with keeping tabs on old classmates and their doings, even those of old-line communists like this writer. Go figure?

**********************

Markin comment:

The subject matter of this particular entry is in dire need of supplementary explanation before all my old and new leftist political associates think that I have gone over the edge- and crawled half-way back to some old variant of the Stalinist Popular Front “theory” where even churchman are our “comrades. Or worst, crawled half-way back to “Mother Church”. No, that is not the case at all. As I have had to say on other tricky occasions though- hear me out on this one.

I agree that to honor a churchman, although one somewhere pretty far down on the Catholic Church totem pole is highly unusual. More generally this space has been used to, and is noted for, honoring our fallen forbears like Marx, Lenin and Trotsky, other radicals and revolutionaries who were not our comrades but who were kindred spirits in the struggle for a better world, or other secular figures who have made a cultural impact that paved the way for us in some manner. That description would, in the usual case, not apply to churchmen, high or low.

I, moreover, have spent a good portion of my life struggling, one way or another, against the effects of my own youthful church indoctrination and steadfastly adhere to one of our great forbears', Karl Marx, description of religion as the “opiate of the people”. I also add to that sound bite, unlike our thoughtless political opponents who leave it at that and do not give the phrase in the context in which it was written-people need the dope of religion to bear up under the heretofore relentless struggle for survival in an unjust and unequal world. Marxists have never been against personal religious expression, per se, although in a communist society it would, I assume, be something of a curiosity, or something like the “Old Believers" in the Russian Orthodox tradition or, maybe, the Amish in America.

And that is where my tribute to Brother James C. fits in. I have no truck with his religious beliefs, personal or professional, but I do have truck with his sense of “doing good in the world”. Moreover, getting back to that united front question that I alluded to when I mentioned the Stalinist Popular Front policy up above, on a lot of questions, particularly around the death penalty, who the heck do you think some of the people we are united fronting with are? And in the old days, in the back in the day 1960s, for example, we certainly defended the Berrigan Brothers and the Catonsville Nine, all Catholic pacifists of one sort or another, many of them priest and nuns, who committed acts of civil disobedience trying to disrupt the military draft system during the Vietnam War.

Or going back even further we had a kind word to say about Dorothy Day and the Catholic Worker movement when they took part in the black civil rights sit-ins to desegregate the lunch counters of this world, North and South. Or fast forward to Central America in the 1980s and to those who operated under the sign of “liberation theology” and who got gunned down by the local tyrants and slapped down by their leader, the Pope, for their efforts. Yes, in the end these people will have to come over to us if they want to see justice done for those whom they work with. For today though, if they operate, as Brother Jim does, under the sign of “doing good in this wicked old world” I say hats off.

**************


For Brother James C.

Usually when I have had an occasion to use the word “brother” it is to ask for something like –“Say Brother, brother can you spare a dime?” Or have used it as a slang word when I have addressed one of the male members of the eight million political causes that I have worked on in my life. Here, in speaking of one of our fellow classmates, Brother James Connolly, I am using the term as a sincere honorific. For those of you who do not know Brother James is a member of the Oratorian Brothers, a Catholic order somewhere down the hierarchical ladder of the Roman Catholic Church. Wherever that is, he, as my devout Irish Catholic grandmother would say (secretly hoping that it would apply to me), had the “calling” to serve the Church.

Now Brother James and I, except for a few sporadic e-mails over the last couple of years, have neither seen nor heard from each other since our school days. So this is something of an unsolicited testimonial on my part (although my intention is to draw him out into the public spotlight to write about his life and work). Moreover, except for a shared youthful adherence to the Catholic Church which I long ago placed on the back burner of my life there are no religious connections that bind us together. At one time I did delight in arguing, through the night, about the actual number of angels that could dance on the head of a needle, and the like, but that is long past. I do not want to comment on such matters, in any case, but rather that fact of Brother James’ doing good in this world.

We, from an early age, are told, no, ordered by parents, preachers, and Sunday school teachers that while we are about the business of ‘making and doing’ in the world to do good, or at least to do no evil. Most of us got that ‘making and doing’ part, and have paid stumbling, fumbling, mumbling lip service to the last part. Brother James, as his profession, and as a profession of his faith and that is important here, choose a different path. Maybe not my path, and maybe not yours, but certainly in Brother James’ case, as old Abe Lincoln said, the “better angels of our nature” prevailed over the grimy struggle for this world’s good. Most times I have to fidget around to find the right endings to my entries, but not on this one. All honor to Brother James Connolly.

No comments:

Post a Comment