Monday, November 18, 2013

***Poet's Corner- The German Poet Friedrich Holderlin

In Honor Of Long Ago Marianne, Marianne Who Came Out Of The West Texas Winds In The 1960s Spouting Goethe, Schiller And Holderlin, When We Were Young    


Hölderlin's poems in English translations:


Da ich ein Knabe war ...

Da ich ein Knabe war
  Rettet´ ein Gott mich oft
    Vom Geschrei und von der Ruthe der Menschen,
       Da spielt ich sicher und gut
         Mit den Blumen des Hains,
           Und die Lüftchen des Himmels
             Spielten mit mir.

Und wie du das Herz
Der Pflanzen erfreust,
Wenn sie entgegen dir
Die zarten Arme streken,

So hast du mein Herz erfreut
Vater Helios! und, wie Endymion,
War ich dein Liebling,
Heilige Luna!

O all ihr treuen
Freundlichen Götter!
Wie euch meine Seele geliebt!

Zwar damals rieff ich noch nicht
Euch mit Nahmen, auch ihr
Nanntet mich nie, 
Wie die Menschen sich nennen
Als kennten sie sich.

Doch kannt´ ich euch besser,
Als ich je die Menschen gekannt,
Ich verstand die Stille des Aethers
Der Menschen Worte verstand ich nie.

Mich erzog der Wohllaut
Des säselnden Hains
Und lieben lernt´ ich
Unter den Blumen.

In den Armen der Götter wuchs ich groß.

Hälfte des Lebens

Mit gelben Birnen hänget
Und voll mit wilden Rosen
Das Land in den See,
Ihr holden Schwäne,
Und trunken von Küssen
Tunkt ihr das Haupt
Ins heilignüchterne Wasser.

Weh mir, wo nehm´ ich, wenn
Es Winter ist, die Blumen, und wo
Den Sonnenschein,
Und Schatten der Erde ?
Die Mauern stehn
Sprachlos und kalt, im Winde
Klirren die Fahnen.

Half of Life

With its yellow pears
And wild roses everywhere
The shore hangs into the lake,
O gracious swans,
And drunk with kisses
You dip your heads
In the sobering holy water.

Ah, where will I find
Flowers, come winter,
And where the sunshine
And shade of the earth ?
Walls stand cold
And speechless, in the wind
The wheathervanes creak.

I tried to select two translations which seem to capture most of the quality of the original poems. They are by Michael Hamburger (In my boyhood days ...) and Richard Sieburth (Half of Life), respectively. Since this probably represents a copyright violation, I guess I should at least try to make up for this by providing links to order the books from which the translations were taken. Both books also include quite nice introductions to Hölderlin's life and works: Friedrich Hölderlin, Hymns and Fragments, translated and introduced by Richard Sieburt, Princeton University Press Friedrich Hölderlin, Selected Poems and Fragments, translated by Michael Hamburger, Penguin Books Page provided by Hermann Brunner.

In my boyhood days ...

In my boyhood days
  Often a god would save me
    From the shouts and from the rods of men;
      Safe and good then I played
        With the orchard flowers
          And the breezes of heaven 
            Played with me.

And as you make glad
The hearts of the plants 
When toward you they stretch
There delicate arms.

So you made glad my heart,
Father Helios, and like Endymion
I was your darling,
Holy Luna.

O all you loyal,
Kindly gods!
Would that you knew how
My soul loved you then.

True, at that time I did not
Evoke you by name yet, and you
Never named me, as men use names,
As though they knew one another.

Yet I knew you better
Than ever I have known men,
I understood the silence of Aether,
But human words I´ve never understood.

I was reared by the euphony
Of the rustling copse
And learned to love
Amid the flowers.

I grew up in the arms of the gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment