Thursday, May 09, 2019

The stories we heard will haunt me forever. Sunrise Varshini Prakash

Sunrise Varshini Prakash<team@sunrisemovement.org>
Al,
For the last 4 weeks, I've traveled with fellow Sunrisers across America for the #Road2GND Tour meeting local leaders, courageous politicians and bold youth activists fighting on the frontlines for a Green New Deal.
Everywhere we’ve gone, the message has been clear: the climate crisis is here and it’s killing people. That reality was painfully clear in Paradise, CA, a town razed to the ground by climate-change-fueled fires 6 months ago yesterday.
I couldn’t keep the stories I heard in Paradise to myself. I want everyone in our movement to hear from the people I met who are rising from the ashes to fight back against the crisis that threatens everything we love. Here’s a glimpse into Paradise:

Imagine fleeing from the house you lived in your entire life, flames towering above either side of your car as you search for safety, feeling the doors melting in on you as you pray you get to live to see another day. That's just one story of thousands in Paradise.
But we also met young leaders like Mikala, who joined our movement at her university after her hometown burned down. We met Tom, a lifelong Republican who says he'll never vote for a climate denier again after losing his home in Paradise.
And we made our first endorsement of the election cycle: Audrey Denney, a millennial spitfire candidate for CA-01 who's been a farmer and educator in her community for years and is running to defeat a climate-denying incumbent.
Take a moment to watch the video and share to help make sure our country doesn’t forget the tragedy that struck Paradise 6 months ago - and support the leaders from Paradise setting out to transform our country.  
When I packed my bags in April, I never anticipated that going on tour would be one of the most life-giving and inspiring experiences of my life. Some days it feels like too much. But I am seeing how the movement we’re building is lending each other strength to push through despair, and towards a brighter future.  
I believe in that future, and I believe in us.
Varshini Prakash


Sent via ActionNetwork.org. To update your email address, change your name or address, or to stop receiving emails from Sunrise, pleaseclick here.

No comments:

Post a Comment