Thursday, March 28, 2019

*In Honor Of The Frida Kahlo Exhibit At The Museum Of Fine Arts In Boston- An Exotic Flower- Frida Kahlo


*In Honor Of The Frida Kahlo Exhibit At The Museum Of Fine Arts In Boston- An Exotic Flower- Frida Kahlo

Click On Title To Link To New York Review Of Books article on Frida Kahlo mentioned below.



Detail of Frida Kahlo's self-portrait with hummingbird and thorn necklace


By Laura Perkins

Honestly although I have known the name Frida Kahlo since back in the 1970s when we down to Mexico and along the way went to the famous Blue House Frida and Diego Rivera shared I was not familiar with her work as I was with Rivera and the other male muralists for which Mexico was then famous. I got more familiar with her work indirectly through the film Frida although I would not say I was well versed even then. What I connected Frida to more than art, or rather who I connected Frida to, was the Bolshevik revolutionary Leon Trotsky who persecuted by Stalin and his agents was on the planet without a place to stay. Frida and Diego through their connections got Trotsky into the country.  Although I had a Trotskyist boyfriend at the time I went to Mexico I was unaware, as I believe he was since he never mentioned it then, of the short love affair between Frida and Trotsky (which would culminate in a Frida painting dedicated to Trotsky now in the Women’s Art Museum down in Washington).       

My real introduction to Frida, live and in person, was several years ago when the MFA displayed (as in this exhibit) her famous Two Peasant Women painting which in many ways shows her artistic skills to advantage and has the addition advantage of showing how close she was to her deeply held Mexican roots. That alone is reason enough to see this exhibition at the MFA if you are in or near Boston between now and June.      

DVD REVIEW

By Leslie Dumont 

Frida, Salma Hayek, 2002


I recently read an article in the New York Review of Books (May 15, 2008) analyzing the work of the Mexican artist Frida Kahlo that reminded me how much I liked this film, especially the performance by Ms. Hayek (who received an Oscar nomination for her efforts and who bore a striking resemblance to Frida in the film). The gist of the article, which included some biographical detail that is also explored here (her various severe mental and physical problems, his stormy relationship with her fellow artist and husband the world famous muralist Diego Rivera, her bisexuality), is that while much of Kahlo's artistic work reflected her strong psychic attachment to Mexico it also placed her squarely in the camp of naturalist painters.

I am not enough of an art devotee to make comment on that above mentioned critique, however, from the several paintings of Kahlo’s that I have seen I would argue a little more toward the surrealist school that virtually every Mexican artist in the 1920’s and 1930’s drew from as they created their work. But enough of that argument for now. This film, in its own round about way, by presenting the various psychic pains (failure to have the children she desperately wanted, her topsy- turvy relationship with Rivera as she tries to make her own space in the art world and the underlying tensions of combining politics and artistic endeavor) gives a fairly decent gloss, for a commercial film, on the trials and tribulations of being a Mexican woman artist in the early part of the 20th century.

Of course, for this political junkie and admirer of Leon Trotsky the names Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera conjure up political connections as much as art. One of the strands working its way through the film is this couple’s relationship with the exiled Trotsky when President Cardenas granted him a visa in 1937. All sources that I have read and photographs that I have seen have mentioned that Trotsky was smitten with Frida’s exotic beauty (to the furor of his companion, Natalia). However, it was rather startling to watch the episode where Trotsky jumps into bed with Ms. Kahlo. I have noted elsewhere that the old time revolutionaries, especially the Russians, were extremely reticent about discussing personal sexual matters in their memoirs and autobiographies. Trotsky was no exception. Is that scene merely cinematic license or was Trotsky really just a dirty old man? You decide. I will concentrate of his political wisdom. And Frida’s strangely exotic paintings.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:12 AM

    I'm a big fan of Frida Kahlo's art, I wasn't really surprised at Trotsky's relationship with her, I read somewhere he had various occasional liaisons, but the one with Frida Kahlo, was emtional, romantic. Aside from the movie, I haven't really read or seen anything about it really.

    It makes for an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:15 AM

    Hi! Got your comment on my blog, but didn't completely understand it, I would love to comment/post more about her art... just email me at Constantwinter@aol.com, with the link, and I would be happy to.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever read Frida by Bárbara Mujica? You'd love it.

    It's a fictional biography (my fave), & clever. I wrote a post about it once.

    (you should right-click & select open in new window).

    ReplyDelete