Friday, June 03, 2016

Songs To Aging Children- Joni Mitchell




DVD REVIEW

Joni Mitchell- Woman of Heart and Mind, American Masters-PBS, 2003


I viewed the American Masters documentary on Joni Mitchell during a time when I had been re-reading Norman Mailer's Marilyn- his take on the life of the legendary screen star Marilyn Monroe. And although there is no obvious connection between the lives or the talents of the two women there is a tale of two generations hidden here. Marilyn represented for my parents' generation, the generation that survived the Great Depression and fought World War II, the epitome of blond glamour, sex and talent. To my more `sedate' generation blond-haired Joni represented the introspective, searching, quiet beauty that we sought to represent our longings for understanding in a seemingly baffling world that we had not made. As this documentary and Mailer's book point out however they `represented' our fantasies they also shared a common vulnerability- attempting to be independent women in worlds dominated by men- the movie and recording studios. Such is the life of the great creative talents.

This well-done documentary traces Joni's life from the snow-bound Canadian farmlands to her early rise to stardom at the tail end of the folk revival of the 1960's. It also traces the later twists in her creative career as she tried to break out of the `folkie' milieu; the successful attempt to be a rocker; the less successful attempt to be a female Leonard Cohen searching the depths of her soul; the attempt to turn herself into a torch singer and later the attempt to take on the jazz idiom under the direction of the legendary Charlie Mingus: and, finally the semi-reversion to her youth under the banner of protest against some of the injustices of the world. Along the way various lovers, learners, hangers-on and fellow song writers give their takes on her place in the musical history of her time. This is always a welcome touch. Moreover, since she will have a big place in that history it helps tell us how very influential she was in that endeavor.

1 comment:

  1. There are many good Joni Mitchell lyrics for the aging children of the 1960's. Here one that I presume reflects her cold weather Canadian roots. I alway like the line "When the sun turns traitor cold." Every time I am in Maine during the winter I think of it. Damn, I wish I had thought of it.

    Urge For Going

    I awoke today and found the frost perched on the town
    It hovered in a frozen sky, then it gobbled summer down
    When the sun turns traitor cold
    and all the trees are shivering in a naked row
    I get the urge for going but I never seem to go

    I get the urge for going
    When the meadow grass is turning brown
    Summertime is falling down and winter is closing in

    I had me a man in summertime
    He had summer-colored skin
    And not another girl in town
    My darling's heart could win
    But when the leaves fell on the ground, and
    Bully winds came around, pushed them face down in the snow
    He got the urge for going
    And I had to let him go

    He got the urge for going
    When the meadow grass was turning brown
    Summertime was falling down and winter was closing in

    Now the warriors of winter they gave a cold triumphant shout
    And all that stays is dying, all that lives is getting out
    See the geese in chevron flight flapping and a-racing on before the snow
    They've got the urge for going, and they've got the wings so they can go

    They get the urge for going
    When the meadow grass is turning brown
    Summertime is falling down and winter is closing in

    I'll ply the fire with kindling now, I'll pull the blankets up to my chin
    I'll lock the vagrant winter out and bolt my wandering in
    I'd like to call back summertime and have her stay for just another month or so
    But she's got the urge for going and I guess she'll have to go

    She gets the urge for going when the meadow grass is turning brown
    And all her empire's falling down

    ReplyDelete