Wednesday, July 31, 2019

On The Sixtieth Anniversary Of Her Death-Lady Day-Billie Holiday- She Took Our Pain Away Despite Her Own Pains- *A Mixed Bag Musical Potpourri-Jazz, Blues, Gospel, Rock And Rockabilly-Coleman Hawkins

Click On Title To Link To YouTube's Film Clip Of Cleman Hawkins Doing "Body And Soul".

The “Bean “Is In The House

The Definitive Coleman Hawkins, Coleman Hawkins, Ken Burns “Jazz”, The Verve Music Group,2000


I admit to a very spotty interest in jazz over my life time and while I have always loved those 1940’s swing bands, like that of Benny Goodman, it was only with the celebration of the centennial of Duke Ellington’s birth in 1999 that I got a little more serious about this genre. Ken Burns’ “Jazz” series for PBS gave me another boost. Still and all there are huge gaps in my knowledge and appreciation of the classic jazz tradition. This is a little odd in that there is a certain convergence between jazz and my favorite musical genre, the blues. The artist under review here exemplifies both those traditions, the “max daddy” tenor sax player Coleman Hawkins, who was the consummate professional and innovator, on that instrument back in the days. All others, including the great Lester Young and Ben Webster, fall in behind this master. That much I do know.

A part of the Burns “Jazz” educational process a series of individual CDs featuring the classic works of the various artists featured in the documentaries were produced. Here the best of Hawkins, starting back in the 1920’s, is given a full workout. The “best” here –no question- “Body And Soul”, “I Mean You” and the later jumped up “Driva Man” (with the legendary Max Roach on drums). Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment