Sunday, October 27, 2019

The Centennial Of Pete Seeger’s Birthday (1919-2014)- Once More Into The Time Capsule, Part Three- The New York Folk Revival Scene in the Early 1960’s-Arlo Guthrie

Click on title to link to YouTube's film clip of Arlo Guthrie performing "The Motorcycle Song" from "Alice's Restaurant".

CD Review

Washington Square Memoirs: The Great Urban Folk Revival Boom, 1950-1970, various artists, 3CD set, Rhino Records, 2001


Except for the reference to the origins of the talent brought to the city the same comments apply for this CD.Rather than repeat information that is readily available in the booklet and on the discs I’ll finish up here with some recommendations of songs that I believe that you should be sure to listen to:

Disc Three: Phil Ochs on “I Ain’t Marching Anymore”, Richard &Mimi Farina on “Pack Up Your Sorrows”, John Hammond on “Drop Down Mama”, Jim Kweskin & The Jug Band on “Rag Mama”, John Denver on “Bells Of Rhymney”, Gordon Lightfoot on "Early Morning Rain”, Eric Andersen on “Thirsty Boots”, Tim Hardin on “Reason To Believe”, Richie Havens on “Just Like A Woman”, Judy Collins on “Suzanne”, Tim Buckley on “Once I Was”, Tom Rush on “The Circle Game”, Taj Mahal on “Candy Man”, Loudon Wainwright III on “School Days”and Arlo Guthrie on “The Motorcycle Song”

Arlo Guthrie on “The Motorcycle Song”. Well, we started this cycle with Woody Guthrie walking, hitching, whatever, down the road with “Hard Travelin’” and we end with his talented son, a product of the tail end of the folk revival that his father did so much to energize by his work, if not his person, riding into the sunset on his motorsickle. That seems about right in the great scheme of things, except, time factor excluded, Arlo’s signature song, and a very representative song of the tail end of the folk revival, “Alice’s Restaurant” would have put really paid to our “Washington Square Memoirs”.

The Motorcycle Song
words and music by Arlo Guthrie


CHORUS:
I don't want a pickle
Just want to ride on my motorsickle
And I don't want a tickle
'Cause I'd rather ride on my motorsickle
And I don't want to die
I just want to ride on my motorcy...cle

It was late last night the other day
I thought I'd go up and see Ray
So l went up and I saw Ray
There was only one thing Ray could say, was:

CHORUS

Just last week I was on my bike
I run into a friend named Mike
Run into my friend named Mike
Mike no longer has a bike. He cries:

CHORUS

1 comment:

  1. As previously noted, it is Bleecker Street, not Bleeker Street, in New York City's Greenwich Village. Markin

    ReplyDelete