Saturday, July 07, 2018

*Walk Right In Is Right- The Blues Up Close And Country

Click On The Title To Link To YouTube's Film Clip Of Bukka White Performing "Panama Limited". Wow!

CD Review

When The Sun Goes Down: Walk Right In, various artists, BMG Music, 2002


In the course of the past year or so I have highlighted any number of blues CD compilations as I have tried to search for the roots of the American musical experience, and in the process retraced some of the nodal points of my own musical interests. I never tire of saying that I have been formed, and reformed by the blues so that when I came upon this “When The Sun Goes Down” series (a very apt expression of the right time for the playing of the blues) I grabbed each copy with both hands. In one series, the producers, as an act of love without question, have gathered up the obscure, the forgotten, the almost forgotten and the never to be forgotten voices that “spoke” to me in my youth and started me on that long ago love affair with the blues. I have hardly been alone on that journey but it is nice to see that some people with the resources, the time, money and energy have seen fit to honor our common past. Each CD reviewed here, and any future ones that I can get my hands on for there are more than the three I am reviewing today, is chock full of memorable performances by artists who now will, through the marvels of modern high technology, gain a measure of justified immortality.

Here is the cream. As always “Big Joe” Williams holds forth on “Baby, Please Don’t Go”. The only question is how many strings does the guitar that he is using on this track have? I know it isn’t six. That’s too easy. Moving on, no anthology of the country blues is complete without a Lead Belly song. Although he has never been on the top of my country blues list here his “Ham an’ Eggs” and, of course, the jumping “Midnight Special” are well done. Hey, I only said he wasn’t only MY A-list not that he wasn’t a great and worthy blues legend. Big Bill Broonzy is definitely on my A-list and he shows off here with “Mississippi River Blues”. A real treat in this compilation is the inclusion of Milton Brown and His Musical Brownies doing “Garbage Man Blues” Why? Well, at one time, before his early death in an automobile accident, he was a real challenger to Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys for the title of "King of Western Swing”. Moreover, unlike my questioning the placement of yodeler Jimmy Rodgers as a blues man (in another CD in this series) Milton Brown fits right in here.

All hail Bukka White. I have been raving about my relatively recent “discovery” of Brother White every since I saw him on a Stephan Grossman DVD musical documentary that also included Son House. Old Bukka blew House, that well-respected and seminal figure in country blues away. Here Bukka holds forth on the old railroad blues tune “The Panama Limited”, a song that I first heard way back in the day when it was covered by folk revivalist Tom Rush on one of his early albums. Tommy Johnson, as on a previous CD in this series, stands out with “Cold Drink Of Water Blues”. No wonder blues woman Rory Block, a key figure in the modern “discovery” of his work, chose to cover this classic.

Two exceptional treats here are the incomparable Paul Robeson reaching down for “Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child”. Nothing I could say here would give an adequate expression to the voice of Brother Robeson. We may have been left wing political opponents but when the deal went down he could sings circles around anyone else, especially with his primordial emotive powers. All I can say is that you have to hear this one. The other treat is a genuine piece of black cultural history, the weaving of politics and religion that, in a pre-Obama age (and maybe even now) drove one aspect of black musical expression. Here we have the Reverend J.M. Gates doing “Somebody’s Been Stealin’” (along with some members of his congregation). If you want to hear what bluesman Blind Willie Johnson and, let’s say, a black politician like Adam Clayton Powell fed off of in order to learn to “speak’ in the cadence of the black masses in the first third of the 20th century listen up.


Aberdeen Mississippi 2:33 Trk 9
Bukka White (Booker T. Washington White)
Bukka White - vocal & guitar
& Washboard Sam (Robert Brown) - wshbrd.
Recorded: March 7th & 8th 1940 Chicago, Illinois
Album: Parchman Farm Blues, Roots RTS 33055
Transcriber: Awcantor@aol.com



I was over in Aberdeen
On my way to New Orlean
I was over in Aberdeen
On my way to New Orlean
Them Aberdeen women told me
Will buy my gasoline

Hey, two little women
That I ain't ever seen
They has two little women
That I ain't never seen
These two little women
Just from New Orlean

Ooh, sittin' down in Aberdeen
With New Orlean on my mind
I'm sittin' down in Aberdeen
With New Orlean on my mind
Well, I believe them Aberdeen women
Gonna make me lose my mind, yeah

(slide guitar & washboard)

Aber-deen is my home
But the mens don't want me around
Aberdeen is my home
But the men don't want me around
They know I will take these women
An take them outta town

Listen, you Aberdeen women
You know I ain't got no dime
Oh-oh listen you women
You know'd I ain't got no dime
They been had the po' boy
All up and down.

(guitar & washboard to end)

No comments:

Post a Comment