Thursday, January 28, 2010

*Writer's Corner- Author Of "Catcher In The Rye" J.D. Salinger Passes Away

Click on the title to link to a "The Boston Globe" obituary for the late novelist J.D. Salinger, most famous for his novel "Catcher In The Rye".

Markin comment:

I am writing this entry after just receiving notice that the author of this book, J.D. Salinger, has just passed away at 91. I am living proof, although I am sure no alone on this account , that the teenage angst that preppie Holden Caulfield, the narrator of "Catcher In The Rye", was caught up in his immediate post-World War II generation was contagious all the way down at the bottom of society to housing project kids like me later on. Needless to say this high school assigned-reading was one of those books that I devoured at one sitting, if I recall correctly. But here is a better perspective on the book. Some books you read once and move on. Others you read, re-read and live out, including on a trip to New York a stay at the old Taft Hotel. How is that for having a more than a literary effect on the reader. Only Jack Kerouac’s “On The Road” had more. So long, J.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment