Thursday, February 04, 2010

*A Song In Honor Of "General" Harriet Tubman

Click on the title to link to a Wikipedia entry for the great abolitionist, Underground Railroad conductor, and friend of revolutionary abolitionist John Brown, "Harriet Tubman". All honor to her memory.

February is Black History Month

Guest Commentary/Lyrics

Harriet Tubman

A Cappella Arrangement for Women's Voices



One night I dreamed I was in slavery,
'Bout eighteen fifty was the time,
Sorrow was the only sign,
Nothing around to ease my mind.
Out of the night appeared a lady,
Leading a distant pilgrim band.
"First mate," she yelled, pointing her hand,
"Make room on board for this young woman."

Singing: Come on up, mm mm mm, I got a lifeline
Come on up to this train of mine
Come on up, mm mm mm, I got a lifeline
Come on up to this train of mine.
She said her name was Harriet Tubman
And she drove for the underground railroad.

Hundreds of miles we travelled onward,
Gathering slaves from town to town,
Seeking every lost and found,
Setting those free who once were bound.
Somehow my heart was growing weaker,
I fell by the wayside's sinking sand.
Firmly did this lady stand,
Lifted me up and took my hand.

Singing: ....

Who are those children dressed in red?
They must be the ones that Moses led.

Singing: ....

Harriet Tubman

No comments:

Post a Comment