Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Once More On The Post-World War II Chicago Blues Explosion- The Work Of Master Blues Harmonica Player Sonny Boy Williamson

CD Review

Sonny Boy Williamson: His Best: 50th Anniversary Chess Edition, Sonny Boy Williamson, Chess Records, 1997

I hope I never get tired of reviewing the various blues greats that I have spent the better part of the last couple of years trying to highlight. And I probably won’t. However, one little problem tends to keep creeping up. Just when I think that I have hit all the blues highbinders that are possible to mention without just running out into the street and reviewing some itinerant street player along comes another one that it would be a sin, a mortal sin, not to mention. That is the case here with the work of Sonny Boy Williamson (Rice Carter version, for those who want to get into that controversy over who the real Sonny Boy is, or was), master harmonica player, no, make that harmonica wizard.

One of the things that got added, significantly, when the blues went north to Chicago (and other such environs) and went electric in the post-World War II period was the increased use of the harmonica to drive the beat, or act as counter-point to it, as the case may be on any particular song. We all know, or should know, of the key role that Muddy Walters and his various bands played in this with the emergence of Little Walter and later James Cotton. Note should also be taken of Howlin’ Wolf’s role when he was in his prime, and drove everyone crazy with that voice and THAT harmonica he practically inhaled on things like “How Many More Years”. Well, how do you think these guys learned the tricks of the harmonica trade? One way or another at the feet of Sonny Boy.

And the proof? Well just take about ten out of the twenty selections in this 50th Anniversary of Chess Records edition. Perhaps any ten will do but here are my stick outs. Keep in mind that most of the lyrics are monstrously “politically incorrect” but “Keep It To Yourself,” “Your Funeral And Mine,” Down Child,” and, the well-known “Help Yourself” are a good sampler.

***********

Sonny Boy Williamson - Blue Bird Blues Lyrics

Artist: Sonny Boy Williamson

Album: Miscellaneous

Genre: Blues


Send "Blue Bird Blues" Ringtone to your Cell
Songwriters: John Lee Williamson


My bluebird, bluebird
Please take this letter down south for me
Now, bluebird, bluebird
Please take this letter down south for me
Now you can tell my baby, I'm up here in St. Louis
Oh, but I'm just as blue as I can be

Now, bluebird, when you get to Jackson
I want you to fly down on Shannon Street
Now, bluebird when you get to Jackson
I want you to fly down on Shannon Street
Well, but I don't want you to stop flyin'
Until you find Miss Lacey Belle, for me

Now bluebird, when you find Miss Lacey Belle
I want you to please give her my best regard
Now bluebird, when you find Miss Lacey Belle
Oh, give her my best regard
Well, that you can tell her I'm up here in St. Louis
But these times is awful doggone hard

Now bluebird, she may not be at home
But please, knock on her door
Now bluebird, she may not be at home
But please knock on her door
Well, but she might be right across the street
Visitin' her next door neighbor, you know

No comments:

Post a Comment