Monday, November 25, 2013

***Songs To While The Time By- Rod Stewart’s Lady Day-Take Two




From The Pen Of Frank Jackman


…he had known her since he had known the hills, known the hills and hollows around Scratch Town (the name, made up, served just as well as the real name and could have fit any of several towns along that low- lying mountain range), known the exquisite difference (although he, poor ignorant he, would not have used that word, had he she might have stayed) between boys and girls the first time he danced with her down at Red Baily’s Saturday night dance, lights aglow, corn liquor aplenty (for the adults), the boys in fine fiddle. And so from that night they spend their time together, spent it growing to adulthood (and he, not she, to adult corn liquor) and made plans. Were to marry, have kids, and grow old together. But there was a wind blowing through the hills and hollows just then, blowing through the whole land, and she got caught up in it, became discontented, wanted more. He, well, he was just a hills and hollows boy, not a good old boy exactly but he probably would grow into that status as he aged. He just did not understand, not at all.

She had to move on, move on with her life she said. Said their, quote, “flirtation” was not built to last, not made of the stuff of dreams (sweet dreams, he said, quote). And of course she was right, she was right for her, right to want to move on. To leave the country life behind, to leave the dull behind and shake up the world a little, shake up the world a little with her love too. He, well, he was a tattered and tore guy, a guy who would be swallowed up in cities, would find no air to breathe. Still it hurt, hurt like hell that she wanted to leave, wanted to leave her tattered and tore behind like a dust rag. Still it hurt that she never looked back when she walked up the road to take that Greyhound bus to who knows where. Still, well, still he loved her, a small love in a big world but love…

*********

Lady Day

North winds have made my face a little older
And my back is bent through trying too hard
My vest is torn, so I make no perfect picture
To place upon your white-washed wall
I'd like to stay but you have not asked me
Still I don't really expect you to
Dusty boots would shame you now, Lady Day
Are we really that far apart?
I wish the world could see you now, Lady Day
Laughing down at your oldest friend
The one who shared just about all he had
In a one-sided love affair
I get scared when I remember too much
Wasted time I suppose you could say that
Strange, it don't seem that way to me
But wait a minute, I don't even think you're listening
Just let me tell you how I really feel
I've seen the inside of your heart, Lady Day
When you wanted to be shown the way
I loved you then as I love ya now, girl


Read more: Rod Stewart - Lady Day Lyrics | MetroLyrics


No comments:

Post a Comment