Saturday, August 23, 2014

Manning and her attorneys frustrated over Army stonewalling of healthcare, “cruel and unusual punishment”

August 22, 2014 by the Chelsea Manning Support Network
“This time last year, I publicly asked that I be provided with a treatment plan, to bring my body more in line with my gender identity. Unfortunately, despite silence, and then lip service, the military has not yet provided me with any such treatment,”
Chelsea Manning. August 22, 2014
 C_Manning_Finish (1)A full year after Chelsea Manning’s initial request for appropriate gender-related healthcare from her military captors, the Army is still denying her treatment at the Fort Leavenworth military prison.
 A month ago, an unnamed military spokesperson reluctantly stated that the Army would provide a “rudimentary level” of gender-related health care to Chelsea. This statement was made after receiving public scrutiny for their failure to provide treatment thus far, and after the Army failed in their attempt to avoid responsibility of Chelsea’s medical needs by transferring her to a civilian prison. However, so far the Army’s public statements have been just talk–Chelsea has yet to receive the medical attention she needs.
 The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has been retained by Chelsea Manning to represent her gender-related healthcare interests:
“Our constitution requires that the government provide medically necessary care to the individuals it holds in its custody. It is cruel and unusual punishment to withhold from Ms. Manning the care that the military’s own doctors have deemed medically necessary, “states Chase Strangio, Staff Attorney with the ACLU’s LGBT & AIDS Project. “The Army is withholding her care for political reasons, which is simply not permitted by our Constitution.” 
This morning, Chelsea Manning issued the following statement bringing to light the Army’s negligence:
This time last year, I publicly asked that I be provided with a treatment plan, to bring my body more in line with my gender identity. Unfortunately, despite silence, and then lip service, the military has not yet provided me with any such treatment.
 Treatment is, as a lather of law about medical necessity. Such as treating depression of anxiety. But, receiving treatment is very important to me, as a person. It has a little bit to do with the perception of myself- the sense of unending discomfort with the gender that has been imposed on me-but not out of vanity.
 However, prisons- and especially military prisons—reinforce and impose strong gender norms—making gender the most fundamental aspect of institutional life. The US Disciplinary Barracks restricts my ability to express myself based on my gender identity.
 For example, in my daily life I am reminded of this when I look at the name on my badge, the first initial sewed onto my clothing, the hair and grooming standards that I adhere to, and the titles and courtesies used by the staff. Ultimately, I just want to be able to live my life as the person that I am, and to be able to feel comfortable in my own skin.
 I also want to make it clear that my request is about how I am confined, not where. I have never requested for any transfer to a civilian or female facility. Prison is prison regardless of whether you are military or civilian, and regardless of what gender you are.
 Overall, the support I have received outside has been overwhelming—from cards and letters, to public statements of support. I am especially grateful for all the people who have respected my wishes, used the correct pronouns and titles when referring to me, and given me their best wishes and warm love and support. You have given me a deep well of hope and optimism to gather energy from.
 With Warm Regards,
 manning-sig
 
Chelsea Manning

No comments:

Post a Comment