Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Jonah Raskin :
Happy Birthday, ‘High Times’


‘High Times’ has, from the beginning, had to walk a fine line because the cultivation, distribution, and sale of marijuana has and still is illegal by federal law.

high times 40th cover
High Times: 40 years and still… smoking.
By Jonah Raskin | The Rag Blog | November 22, 2014
The High Times 40th-anniversary party took place at 95 Delancey Street in New York on the next-to-the last Thursday in October. I went because I’ve written for High Times since the early 1980s, under my own name and under an alias, too, including Joe Delicado. HT also published my paperback book, Marijuanaland: Dispatches from an American War, which might be called gonzo reporting in the tradition of Hunter S. Thompson, though I don’t claim to be anywhere near as good as Thompson.
By coincidence I was in New York at the same time as the party and close by, too; 95 Delancey was a 10-minute walk from the apartment where I was staying and where I’d smoked a pipe or two of New York State weed. To get into the party you had to be on the list.
Continue reading

No comments:

Post a Comment