Monday, December 14, 2015

“War Is Not The Answer!”

*   *   *   *

VIGIL LAST NIGHT:  “War Is Not The Answer!”

 

http://masspeaceaction.org/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/demo-5.crop_.1200c-620x264.jpg

Cole Harrison of Mass Peace Action introduced DPPer Hayat Imam at Welcome Refugees - War is Not the Answer rally,

Boston Common, Dec 10, 2015. Joseph Gerson photo

 

Hayat said (excerpt):

Fifty years ago, along with millions of other immigrants in our history, I too came to these shores as a young Muslim woman. Over the years, I learned, and I educated others; I worked, and I employed others; I trusted, and I was trusted; I loved you, and you loved me back; I made a home here, and I felt at home. But, today, I hear, if I go abroad, I will not be welcome to come back again to my country. I want to tell my fellow-American Donald Trump, that this is NOT OKAY!    …Bombings only cause suffering for innocent men, women and children. In the name of the millions of suffering Syrians who have lost everything, we ask for a complete ceasefire from all sides and diplomatic efforts to get every key group in Syria to the table for dialogue.  It may be hard for us to believe this, but Syrians have the right, and the means, to sort out their own problems… In the meantime, those Syrians who have weathered so much and sacrificed everything to come to our country, we welcome you here!  More

 

*   *   *   *

http://masspeaceaction.org/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/JobsJusticeClimate.pngSaturday, December 12

Jobs, Justice, Climate: Rally to Defend New England’s Future!

1-3pm, Boston Common

Without further dramatic action by our nation and others, much of the world will face, among other disasters, the prospect of war and violence as drought, floods, and hunger affect millions more people. Climate disruption is a threat multiplier, and peace and justice activists are on the front lines of protest and advocacy for real solutions.

 

What happens in the negotiating rooms, though important, isn't what matters most. What matters is what happens in the streets.  So we must build an unstoppable grassroots movement that connects peace, racial and social justice, and climate action.  

On December 12, people will come together from across New England to show the world that true climate leadership means a brighter future for all. Can you join us? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment