Friday, November 23, 2018

Teenage Idol-In The Matter Of 1950s Rock And Roll Legend One Ricky Nelson (1940-1985)-Yeah, “Poor Little Fool”









In The Matter Of 1950s Rock And Roll Legend One Ricky Nelson (1940-1985)-Yeah, “Poor Little Fool”

By Sam Lowell

You never know what idea will germinate in your head when you need to find a subject to write about after “the boss,” site manager Greg Green, tells you to find some “freaking” thing to write about since I had not written anything in a while (that “freaking” only a for public consumption but gives you the drift of what he really said). Then, as if by magic, an idea came to me as I was driving up to Olde Saco in Maine to see my old friend and comrade Josh Breslin, who also has been remiss about assignments lately but apparently has a golden shield to protect him from Greg’s wrath. Most of the way up U.S. 95 until you hit about Hampton in New Hampshire the local NPR station will get you through the time. Then the signal dies out and for a few minutes you get a mix of that station and another coming out of the University of Southern Maine in Portland. This college station, like all such operations, is really an amateur operation. I remember one time previously the amateur DJ apologized for the quality of his home-made tape which went awry but something had happened to the machine. I yelled out to myself as I was driving along “what the hell this is beautiful.” On the day that I was heading to Josh’s though I was given a chestnut since the DJ that day was playing for some reason I never fully understood because I arrived at Josh’s before the set was over a raft of Rickey Nelson songs from the 1950s.              

Of course the 1950s was the now classic age of rock and roll and the time when I came of musical age, began seriously listening to the radio, the rock and roll radio where Mr. Nelson had a number of hits starting with Poor Little Fool   which was one of the songs in the set the DJ played that day. I am dating myself, but it cannot be helped I was as likely to watch Rickey as part of the Nelson family on television on the Ozzie and Harriet Show. There he played the younger brother of two of what was supposed to be a model television family for 1950s emulation. A family where all the so-called problems they faced, that were the subject of the program were resolved without trouble by the end of the half hour. As it turned out Ricky also had musical talent and so that is where I want to place the blame.  

Yes, place the blame and some fifty plus years I am still ticked off about it. See not only was Ricky on television and out on tour singing his ass off but he was a very good looking 1950s-style suburban boy. In short, a guy girls, suburban girls and Acre neighborhood of North Adamsville where I grew up girls thought was “cute.” And that is where the bone I have to pick with Mr. Nelson, or his memory, starts. Starts with one Teresa Green who was in my class in elementary school and who I had a serious crush on (funny, old-fashioned term isn’t it). And who I tried to take to about seven church or school dances but who would not give me the time of day for one very specific reason. She was “saving herself” not her expression but that was the idea for Ricky Nelson.            

That was the start and many grievous nights for a few weeks after until I took Linda Pratt to the school dance I moped about the lost of Teresa and the burning hatred I had for Ricky despite liking some of his songs. Adding insult to injury though when I got back home, I mentioned to my long-time companion, Laura Perkins who writes here occasionally, by the way that is by mutual consent the way we like to speak of our relationship after a combined five divorces, I mentioned hearing Ricky Nelson on the radio on the way to Maine. Suddenly she got swoony, got giddy and told me that she had had a serious crush on Mr. Nelson when she was young. Thought he was cute. Then I mentioned old elementary school flame Teresa and her “saving herself” for Ricky. Laura then said if I had known her then and had asked her for a date she too would probably have said she was “saving herself” for that bastard Ricky. So you can see why I am seeing red when the name Ricky Nelson comes up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment