Tuesday, December 13, 2016

*Etta James Is In The House- An Encore

Click on the title to link to YouTube's film clip of Etta James performing her classic "I'd Rather Go Blind".

CD Review

Etta James: Her Best- The Chess Records 50th Anniversary Edition, Etta James, MCA UK, 1997


The name Etta James goes back in my memory to associations with my first listening to rock music on the old transistor radio in the late 1950’s. At that time, I believe, her music was in the old doo wop tradition of the late 1950’s, a music that I was fairly soon to dismiss out of hand as the ‘bubble gum’ music that was prevalent in that period between the height of Elvis/Jerry Lee/Carl Perkins classic rock & rock and the Beatles and The Rolling Stones. That is where things were left until a dozen years ago or more when Etta ‘stole the show’ at the Newport Folk Festival. Well, we live and learn.

The stand outs here include: the classic Etta song “I’d Rather Go Blind,” the saucy “Tell Mama,” and “All The Way Down”. Overall this is a lesser Etta compilation, especially for a Chess 50th Anniversary edition item that usually has higher quality copies of the tracks.

Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind Lyrics

Something told me it was over
When I saw you and her talkin'
Something deep down in my soul said, 'Cry, girl'
When I saw you and that girl walkin' around

Whoo, I would rather, I would rather go blind, boy
Then to see you walk away from me, child, no

Whoo, so you see, I love you so much
That I don't wanna watch you leave me, baby
Most of all, I just don't, I just don't wanna be free, no

Whoo, whoo, I was just, I was just, I was just
Sittin here thinkin', of your kiss and your warm embrace, yeah
When the reflection in the glass that I held to my lips now, baby
Revealed the tears that was on my face, yeah

Whoo and baby, baby, I'd rather, I'd rather be blind, boy
Then to see you walk away, see you walk away from me, yeah
Whoo, baby, baby, baby, I'd rather be blind...

No comments:

Post a Comment