Saturday, December 13, 2008

*Hello In There- The Music Of John Prine

Click on the headline to link to a YouTube film clip of John Prine performing his classic, "Angel From Montgomery".

CD/DVD REVIEWS

Great Days: The John Prine Anthology, John Prine, Rhino Records, 1993

Over the last several months I have done more musically-oriented reviews that I had expected to on this site in order to flesh out the role of some of the 1960's cultural icons on the times. One of the themes that have kept cropping up is that for some folk/blues-oriented musical artists like Bob Dylan my attachment was immediate, long time and on-going. For other artists like John Prine it has been more of a recently acquired taste. In fact, my first acquaintance with the work of John Prine, at least that I was aware of, was several years ago when I was requested to get a couple of his CDs for a friend for Christmas. Upon listening to those albums, including this compilation, we both agreed that the best bet was to return them and get something else. Go figure.

I had, obviously, heard Bonnie Raitt do Prine's “Angel From Montgomery” long ago but I never associated his name with that song. Then a couple of years ago I happened to listen to his “Hello In There” and “Sam Stone”. Anyone whose has been affected by the Vietnam War experience in any way will gasp after hearing this very personal take of the destructiveness of that war for many of those who fought it, found hard drugs and found the black hole as a result. If you want to hear a real anti-war song rather than something wistful like “Where have All The Flowers Gone?” and the like then listen to this one. Yes, this guy Prine had something to say that I wanted to (and on some songs, needed to) hear.

This compilation represents a very wide selection of his best work, arguably the best representation of that work in one location that you could get. Mr. Prine is a good guitar player, a very, very good wordsmith who has produced some poetic turns of phrases here that will have you thinking for a while. Moreover on, for example, “Dear Abby” he can show his “silly”, nonsensical side. He also frankly, has the wry sense of humor (in the classical Greek sense of that word) of a man who has been pushed around by life, has pushed back; has taken his beatings, dusted himself off and gotten back up again. You know, just the kind of guy that I, and I am sure other guys and gals of a certain age, very definitely can relate to, and in some cases like that above-mentioned “Hello In There” need to relate to. If you have just one John Prine album to get this is the one. Then start saving your dough to get the others.

In addition to the songs mentioned above listen to his cover of “Killing The Blues” and Steve Goodman’s “Souvenirs”. Also Unwed Fathers”, “The Late John Garfield Blues” and “Sweet Revenge”.

The Missing Years, John Prine, Oh Boy Records, 2002

This is a later compilation after his, hopefully, successful bout with cancer. Believe me the above remarks mentioned in the review of 'Great Days" still apply. So what is good here? Listen to "The Sins Of Memphisto", "Picture Show" Train" and "Jesus The Missing Years". Then you will know what I mean by that remark about his wordsmanship mentioned above in the review of “Great Days”.

John Prine At Sessions At West 54th, John Prine with Iris Dement and various artists, OnBoy Records, 2001

Over the last several months I have done more musically-oriented reviews that I had expected. One of the themes that keep cropping up is that for some folk/blues-oriented musical artists like Bob Dylan my attachment was immediate, long time and on-going. For other artists like John Prine it has been more of a recently acquired taste. I had, obviously, heard Bonnie Raitt do his "Angel From Montgomery" but I never associated his name with that song. Then a couple of years ago I happened to listen to his "Hello In There" and "Sam Stone". Yes, this guy has something to say that I wanted to (on some songs, needed to) hear.

This concert represents a small selection of some of his work, although with the exception of "Sam Stone", "Lake Marie" and "Hello in There" not much in the way of classics, at least that I am familiar with. This concert would thus only rate as a pretty fair performance except that on a few songs like "When Two World Collide" he is accompanied by Iris Dement (a powerful singer in her own right who I have reviewed elsewhere in this space. She is also the wife of singer songwriter Greg Brown who is also reviewed elsewhere here). Iris is also a recent acquisition. I would travel very far to hear that voice of hers (and have done so). Incidentally, I have seen both these performers in person over the past couple of years- they still have it. Still this is not the DVD that YOU need to understand either talent, but you may want it.

1 comment:

  1. John Prine Country

    In Spite Of Ourselves, John Prine and various women vocalists, Oh Boy Records, 1999

    I have reviewed some of John Prine’s work elsewhere in this space. Here Brother Prine holds forth in duets covering mostly modern country music classics (or ones that he just likes) with a who’s who of women vocalists. So what is not to like about this CD. Nothing, especially if your tastes run to the country music genre. Although mine do not as a rule I note that my “Arky Angel” Iris DeMent is one of the women vocalists here on several songs (“The Jet Set”, ‘Let’s Invite Them Over”, “We Could”, and the title song “In Spite Of Ourselves”). I have mentioned elsewhere that I would walk many a mile... No, I would drag myself through many a desert to hear that voice. As for the rest I notice that Lucinda Williams does a very nice duet on “Wedding Bells” and Emmy Lou Harris (as always) on “I Know One”. As for the rest I am not familiar with their work. However, given what I have already recommended this is a good CD.

    ReplyDelete