Sunday, July 03, 2016

*The Storms Are Not All On The Ocean-A Ginny Hawker/Kay Justice Tribute To The Original Carter Family

Click on title to link to YouTube's film clip of Maybelle Carter accompanied by the New Lost City Ramblers on "The Storms Are On The Ocean" Sorry, I could find any Ginny Hawker material on YouTube.But you will agree this is not a too shabby substitute.



CD Review

Bristol-A tribute to the music of the original Carter Family , Ginny Hawker and Kay Justice, Copper Creek Records, 1999




Okay, you say, enough of the Carter Family, Enough of mountain music reviews from a guy who gets nervous when he gets even a couple of miles away from the bright lights of the big city. Well, fair enough. And under most circumstances I couldn’t agree with you more. But you see, I have just done a review of one of the singers here, Ginny Hawker, concerning her duos with old New Lost City Ramblers member Tracy Swartz. So, naturally, somebody then tells me about this CD and there you have it. So, in the end I am merely a victim of circumstances. Sounds about right, right?

But enough, let me just say that there is no shortage of those who have covered the original Carter Family material (including later combinations of Carters and Cashes), there is no shortage of wannabe Maybelle and Sara –type harmony combinations and there is no shortage of those who (now) know the importance of May belle‘s guitar work in creating the Carter Family sound. Nevertheless this pair on harmony, on the manner in which they arrange the songs selected to fit their skills and on the simple instrumentation that does not clutter up the harmonies stepped right out of the pages of Clinch Mountain. Outstanding in that regard are “Gently Lead Me”, “Waves of the Sea”, “I Never Loved But One” and the super-Carter classic “Amber Tresses”. Nicely done.




AMBER TRESSES TIED IN BLUE


The Carter Family

Far away in sunny mountains
Where the merry sunbeams play
There I wandered thru the clover
Singing to a village maid

She was dearer than the dearest
Ever loving kind and true
And she wore beneath her bonnet
Amber tresses tied in blue

Fact decreed that we be parted
Ere the leaves of autumn fell
Then two hearts were separated
That had loved each other well

She was all I had to cherish
Every loving king and true
Now I see in every vision
Amber tresses tied in blue

"The Storms Are On The Ocean"

I'm going away to leave you love
I'm going away for a while
But I'll return to see you sometime
If I go ten thousand miles

The storms are on the ocean
The heavens may cease to be
This world may lose it's motion love
If I prove false to thee

Oh who will dress your pretty little feet
And who will glove your hand
Oh who will kiss your rosy red cheeks
When I'm in a foreign land

Papa will dress my pretty little feet
And Mama will glove my hand
You may kiss my rosy red cheeks
When you return again

Have you seen those mournful doves
Flying from pine to pine
A-mournin' for their own true love
Just like I mourn for mine

I'll never go back on the ocean love
I'll never go back on the sea
I'll never go back on my blue-eyed girl
'Til she goes back on me

No comments:

Post a Comment