Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Once More Into The Time Capsule, Part Three- The New York Folk Revival Scene in the Early 1960’s-John Hammond

Click on title to link to YouTube's film clip of "Sleepy" John Estes performing "Drop Down Mama".

CD Review

Washington Square Memoirs: The Great Urban Folk Revival Boom, 1950-1970, various artists, 3CD set, Rhino Records, 2001


Except for the reference to the origins of the talent brought to the city the same comments apply for this CD.Rather than repeat information that is readily available in the booklet and on the discs I’ll finish up here with some recommendations of songs that I believe that you should be sure to listen to:


Disc Three: Phil Ochs on “I Ain’t Marching Anymore”, Richard &Mimi Farina on “Pack Up Your Sorrows”, John Hammond on “Drop Down Mama”, Jim Kweskin & The Jug Band on “Rag Mama”, John Denver on “Bells Of Rhymney”, Gordon Lightfoot on "Early Morning Rain”, Eric Andersen on “Thirsty Boots”, Tim Hardin on “Reason To Believe”, Richie Havens on “Just Like A Woman”, Judy Collins on “Suzanne”, Tim Buckley on “Once I Was”, Tom Rush on “The Circle Game”, Taj Mahal on “Candy Man”, Loudon Wainwright III on “School Days”and Arlo Guthrie on “The Motorcycle Song”


John Hammond on “Drop Down Mama”. Be aware we are not talking here about the John Hammond who “discovered” Billie Holiday and a million other great singers but his “folkie” son, John. Also be aware that even with such bloodlines it is not a sure thing that the talent for discovering great singers can be transmitted to the next generation. The real reason that I have included this track for your inspection is that it was written (or a version of it, at least) by Sleepy John Estes, one of those old time country blues artists who were themselves ‘discovered’ by the 1960s folk revivalists. Moreover, I have been somewhat remiss in not having mentioned old Sleepy previously. Needless to say the future holds one in store. As for young Hammond that is about it.

Drop Down Mama
Lyrics: Traditional
Music: Traditional


Drop down mama
Let your daddy see
You got something goin' down
That keeps on worryin' me

Chorus
But my mama don't allow me
To fool around
She's sayin' "Son you're too young now
Some woman might put you down"

Go away from my window
Stop scratchin' round my screen
You're so evil woman
And I know what you mean

[chorus]

I got three women livin'
On the same damn road
One does my cookin', one does my washin'
One pays my room and board

[chorus]

Drop down mama
Let your daddy see
You got something goin' down
That keeps worryin' me

[chorus]

Son you're too young now
Some woman might put you down

No comments:

Post a Comment