Monday, October 26, 2009

*Once More Into The Time Capsule, Part Two- The New York Folk Revival Scene in the Early 1960’s-Judy Roderick

Click on title to link to YouTube's film clip of Bing Crosby, yes Bing Crosby, performing "Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?".

CD Review

Washington Square Memoirs: The Great Urban Folk Revival Boom, 1950-1970, various artists, 3CD set, Rhino Records, 2001


Disc Two: Dave Van Ronk on “He Was A Friend Of Mine” and You’se A Viper”, The Chad Mitchell Trio on “Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream”, Hedy West on “500 Miles”, Ian &Sylvia on “Four Strong Winds”, Tom Paxton on “I Can’t Help But Wonder Where I’m Bound”, Peter, Paul And Mary on “Blowin’ In The Wind”, Bob Dylan on “Boots Of Spanish Leather”, Jesse Colin Young on “Four In The Morning”, Joan Baez on “There But For Fortune”, Judy Roderick on “Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?”, Bonnie Dobson on “Morning Dew”, Buffy Sainte-Marie on “Cod’ine” and Eric Von Schmidt on “ Joshua Gone Barbados”.


Judy Roderick on “Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?”. The only reason I am commenting on this song is because recently I have become something of a Yip Harburg (writer of the song) devotee. Moreover, during these times doesn’t the sentiment of the song really ring true what with many millions unemployed because a few guys and gals in Wall Street and other world-wide financial and political centers didn’t think that it was odd that giving huge housing mortgages to people who essentially came in off the street and asked for them was inappropriate. In any case, having been cast out in the hard streets of misfortune in my time, and knowing the fickle nature of the fate sisters, I’ll keep that last line that haunts one- “Brother, can you spare a dime?" at the ready.

"Brother Can You Spare A Dime"

They used to tell me I was building a dream
And so I followed the mob
When there was earth to plow or guns to bear
I was always there right on the job

They used to tell me I was building a dream
With peace and glory ahead
Why should I be standing in line
Just waiting for bread?

Once I built a railroad, I made it run
Made it race against time
Once I built a railroad, now it's done
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Once I built a tower up to the sun
Brick and rivet and lime
Once I built a tower, now it's done
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Once in khaki suits, gee we looked swell
Full of that Yankee-Doodly-dum
Half a million boots went sloggin' through Hell
And I was the kid with the drum

Say, don't you remember, they called me "Al"
It was "Al" all the time
Why don't you remember, I'm your pal
Say buddy, can you spare a dime?

Once in khaki suits, ah gee we looked swell
Full of that Yankee-Doodly-dum
Half a million boots went sloggin' through Hell
And I was the kid with the drum

Oh, say, don't you remember, they called me "Al"
It was "Al" all the time
Say, don't you remember, I'm your pal
Buddy, can you spare a dime?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:19 PM

    If you like Judy Roderick's Brother Can You Spare a Dime...check out her "Money Blues" on the newly released, "When Im Gone" cd at dexofon.com. It's brilliant. You will also find a link to it on Judy's Facebook page as well as her website: Judyroderick.com. Thanks for mentioning her. - Lee Oprea

    ReplyDelete