Thursday, June 09, 2016

*Going Back To School-Rosann Cash’s “The List”

Click on the headline to link to a "YouTube" film clip of Patsy Cline performing her classic "She's Got You."

CD Review

The List, Rosann Cash, Manhattan Records, 2009


Okay, so your father was Johnny Cash. And his second wife was June Carter Cash. And her mother was Maybelle Carter of The Carter Family. And… well, enough of the bloodlines. What all this tells me is country, deep country music, the roots. So one would think that daughter Rosann Cash, the artist under review here, would have the country play list done pat from day one. Apparently not so according to her testimony. So Papa gave her an essentials list, and thus now “The List”.

Now this is not all the possible great country songs but it certainly is an impressive list from Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline on. What is more to the point is that I actually liked this album. Usually my toleration for country classics beyond a few is very short. And my interest in Rosann Cash’s music previously virtually non-existent. But something must have driven her to new heights because she sings here (alone, and with companions on some, with manic energy). I will give my one prime example, plain and simple. Even a non-country fan KNOWS that Patsy Cline owns the song, “She’s Got You.” Nobody else comes close to the end-of-the-night high school dance pathos of that number, right? Well, Ms. Cash makes a great run at it. Now it is Patsy AND Rosann on that one when you are in that kind of mood. Oh, by the way to buttress my argument listen to “I’m Moving On” and “Girl From The North Country” (her dad and Bob Dylan did an earlier duo version of the Dylan song). I rest my case.


“She's Got You” Lyrics

I've got your picture that you gave to me
And it's signed "with love," just like it used to be
The only thing different, the only thing new
I've got your picture, she's got you

I've got the records that we used to share
And they still sound the same as when you were here
The only thing different, the only thing new,
I've got the records, she's got you

I've got your memory, or has it got me?
I really don't know, but I know it won't let me be

I've got your class ring; that proved you cared
And it still looks the same as when you gave it dear
The only thing different, the only thing new
I've got these little things, she's got you

No comments:

Post a Comment