Wednesday, September 01, 2010

*Songs To While Away The Class Struggle By-"The Jute Mill Song"

Click on the title to link a YouTube film clip of Karen Casey performing The Jute Mill Song.

In this series, presented under the headline Songs To While Away The Class Struggle By, I will post some songs that I think will help us get through the “dog days” of the struggle for our communist future. I do not vouch for the political thrust of the songs; for the most part they are done by pacifists, social democrats, hell, even just plain old ordinary democrats. And, occasionally, a communist, although hard communist musicians have historically been scarce on the ground. Thus, here we have a regular "popular front" on the music scene. While this would not be acceptable for our political prospects, it will suffice for our purposes here. Markin.

***********


The Jute Mill Song
(Mary Brookbank)


O, dear me, the mill is running fast
And we poor shifters canna get nae rest
Shifting bobbins coarse and fine
They fairly make you work for your ten and nine

O, dear me, I wish this day were done
Running up and doon the Pass is nae fun
Shiftin', piecin', spinning warp, weft and twine
To feed and clothe ma bairnie offa ten and nine

O, dear me, the world is ill-divided
Them that works the hardest are the least provided
But I maun bide contented, dark days or fine
There's no much pleasure living offa ten and nine

Recorded by MacColl- Steam Whistle Ballads, Redpath- Ballad Book,
Golden Ring- Day 1
Copyright TRO Essex Music Ltd.

No comments:

Post a Comment