Thursday, February 07, 2013

Free Lynne Stewart!

Latest from Lynne – Feb 3rd, 2013

February 5th, 2013
2/3/13; 9:00 am
Family, Friends, Comrades, Supporters All,
I have been reminded of the need to update my message now that the Cancer is confirmed and we are about to start treatment. This is definitely Bad news but somehow in the toxic climate in which prisons in particular, but the whole country operates, I am determined that it can be beaten.
Factually, when I went (finally) for the hysterectomy in June of last year, a routine chest X ray showed a spot on my lung. Further Pet scans, sonograms, biopsies revealed (as of September) that there was my old Breast cancer back in my lymph node (armpit) and lung. In January another Pet scan revealed that both lungs are involved as is my scapula (maybe). So now we are working on a treatment. I am fond of and have faith in my doctor–a young woman Oncologist. Other medicos have concurred in that opinion. The treatment (Chemo, pills, shots not necessarily in that order) will be given to me in Fort Worth at a hospital called The Center, part of one of the big places here. There are Problems :
1. It Ain’t New York City with Sloan Kettering or New York Hospital where I was originally treated. Cutting Edge Places –excuse the pun !
2. All things in Prison move VERY slowly, as you can see by the history here. it’s now February and I have had two sets of shots, estrogen related.
3. I am still transported and held in leg irons, belly chain and cuffs for each of these trips. The guards are not unkind but of course, follow orders.It is most difficult to say the least.
Let me assure you all, though, that I am feeling good and have a high level of energy. This may change but so far so good. I do need a nap every afternoon but my doddering old age may have something to do with that ! Read the rest of this entry »

Updates on Lynne – Interviews with Lynne’s daughter-doctor Zenobia Brown

January 30th, 2013
Please listen to these two updates, and write Lynne to let her know you’re thinking of her!
To send Lynne a letter, write:
Lynne Stewart #53504-054
Federal Medical Center, Carswell
PO Box 27137
Ft. Worth, TX 76127
Listen to Lynne’s doctor-daughter Zenobia talk about Lynne’s situation on WBAI’s Health Action Monday, January 28. (mp3)
Listen to Zenobia and Ralph Poynter discuss Lynne’s situation on the radio show Where We Live, from January 24, 2013. (mp3)

Lynne Stewart Speech at Ramsey Clark’s 84th Birthday (Audio)

January 18th, 2013
To listen to Ralph Poynter deliver Lynne’s speech, please click the following link: RAMSEY CLARK and IAC BDAY (MP3 format. Right-click to save)
Lynne Stewart’s Message for Ramsey Clark, January 12, 2013 (Presented by Ralph Poynter)
Ramsey Clark and I have known each other for a long time but we only became face to face and personal friends after 1994.
In the 60′s Ramsey represented government enforcement and I was very anti-government, so you can draw your own conclusions! By 1976, I had hung out my law practice shingle and he was once again a private citizen and a lawyer defender. I was aware of his worldwide work as an ambassador to less than popular regimes, his candidacy to the Senate and of some of his cases–Ruchel Magee and the action at the Alameda County court house, Leonard Peltier, the Branch Davidians in Waco, Texas.
However, it was not until 1994 that we embarked on our professional and personal relationship, which has now widened and deepened into something rich and fine. Read the rest of this entry »


Message from Lynne for the New Year

January 16th, 2013
12/30/12; 7;05 pm
To All the Wonderful People who Love and Support Me;
We embark on the New Year with fear and trepidation of the trip ahead during the rolling months of 2013. We also carry the indefatigable hope of righteousness and struggle as we face those dread tentacles of Corporatism that will try to strangle us.
This is no easy task but I, for one, have always known this. Greed is an overwhelming motivation and seems to prevail among many more that the 1 % we have identified. It is so linked to fear that our population is all but immobilized.
That Said, I am happy to be engaging. I have some personal challenges–the newly discovered lymphatic cancer that I believe will now subject me to Chemotherapy. However, I have a strong sense of never allowing any such problem deter me from someday getting released and walking out under my own power to rejoin our struggle. My strong will !! The focus that all of you infuse me with !!
We also face a formidable challenge in getting my case before the Supreme Court. Will they deign to hear us ? Will we advance the sunlight or only increase the shadows on our Constitutional rights?? We can only strive to present our issues in the best possible way and “fight like Hell”. There is no predicting results but in prison HOPE is the only currency.
Finally, on a personal note, I am joyous over the return of our Doctor daughter, Zenobia, and her grand family to the City. (NY, of course). A courageous move for them but her roots go deep and Florida just couldn’t contain them. Also, happy about the January 12 tribute at Riverside Church for Ramsey Clark, my close friend and comrade. I hope many will attend.
As I now am counting down my 74th year (Ralph his 79th !) I continue to do work for the other women behind bars. I am trying to help a woman given only 6 months to live get compassionate release — she was turned down and then told they would allow her to go to hospice !! Her crime? “Harboring an Alien”– I’m outraged but then a lot outrages me… and I guess that’s why I am who I am . (smile).
Love Struggle,
Lynne

Free Lynne Stewart! (Image by Chistopher Hutchinson)

December 24th, 2012

This poster was created for Lynne by Christopher Hutchinson the day she went to prison. Note the smiling face of Mumia Abu Jamal in the corner as if to say: “Welcome to the ranks of political prisoner. We will stand together and fight until all are free.”

No comments:

Post a Comment