Tuesday, July 09, 2019

When The Winds Of War Do Shift-From The Archives- The Crimea-This Isn't Your Father's Light Brigade



When The Winds Of War Do Shift-From The Archives- The Crimea-This Isn't Your Father's Light Brigade

By Lance Lawrence

I am not sure why I was assigned to do the caption on this archival piece since I am neither Russian nor Ukrainian. Have no organic stake in what happened there several years ago.  Or for that matter British which is the last reference point I remember about this piece of geography from background about The Charge Of The Light Brigade by Alfred Lord Tennyson when Lord Cardigan goofed during the Battle of Balaclava (great name). Moreover, I am not like Fritz Taylor a military man who could tell what the details were of the Russian advances into the Ukraine. Nor am I like Frank Jackman who would put this whole event in a basket and give some cogent geopolitical analysis of the meaning of what occurred there several years ago.

I do not like Vladimir Putin, nobody does except maybe Donald Trump and then maybe it is because the guy has some dirt on him or better that he would like to run Operation USA like Putin runs Operation Russia (with Crimea). I do not like politics particularly except to hold my nose up at them while bathing in the cultural waters that are my bailiwick. I do like people, peoples if that is the case, to have their own country, nation I guess is a better way to say it so I like, and maybe support what is called the right to self-determination. Hell, we in the United States, in Operation USA practically invented the concept.

I also like that right to be more than abstract and not a matter of accident like in Crimea. The accident part by fiat from Moscow by dead ass Nikita Khrushchev back a few decades ago throwing Crimea into the Ukraine. That despite a fairly long history of that place being as filled with Russians with cultural affinities as any Russian in Saint Petersburg. So maybe, just may site manager Greg Green remembered from a few years ago that what bad boy Putin did in support of the Crimea I said then I could support -while holding my nose.        



No comments:

Post a Comment