Wednesday, October 19, 2016

* Another Peep At The British Side Of Contemporary Folk /Rock- Richard Thompson’s “You? Me? Us?-“Voltage Enhanced”/”Nude”

Click on title to link to YouTube's film clip of Richard Thompson performing "Put It There Pal".

CD Review

You? Me? Us?-Voltage Enhanced/Nude, 2 CD set, including lyrics booklet, Richard Thompson, Capitol Records, 1996


This review has also been used to review another Richard Thompson CD.

Recently in this space I went through a chronology of how I happened to come across certain musical selections to review. In that case it was tracing the roots of country blues through well-known old time country bluesman Charley Patton via Bob Dylan tribute, “High Water Everywhere” on his latest “Bootleg” volume. Here, the route to reviewing folk/rock lyricist and singer Richard Thompson, known back in the day as part of the well-thought of British folk group Fairport Convention, is a cover of his classic working class love song, “1952 Vincent Black Lightning’ covered, and covered very well, by American folksinger Greg Brown. But that is where the comparisons end. In the case of Dylan’s tribute I was able to review Patton’s early work very favorably. Here I am, frankly, stymied.

I was not particularly a fan of Fairport Convention back in the days, although anytime I heard them then (or now, when played on a local oldies folk radio program) I was always impressed by their harmonics. When I asked others about Richard Thompson as a solo artist I thought I was confronting the Second Coming with the profuseness of the praise for his work. And that is where the problem is. His lyrics, as “1952 Vincent” shows, are incredibly well thought out and richly evocative. (How about that combination, right?) However, his presentation, mainly the result of over-production, leaves me flat. So, I guess, and it will not be the first time this has happened, Google for Thompson’s lyrics and find out who covers his material. Here I will say that these songs really stick out- From “Voltage”- “She Steers By Lightning” and “Am I Wasting My Love On You?” From “ Nude”- “Burns Supper” and “Woods Of Darney”

Am I Wasting My Love On You? lyrics

Oh I can't get started, and I'm broken hearted
You smile so sweet but you're fast on your feet
Do you want me to catch you, or just get near?
Should I chase you forever? I think I got the idea

Am I wasting my love on you?
Am I wasting my love on you?
Am I wasting my love on you?
Must be better things I can do

Oh I went to a party, you were standing there
You looked so retiring with that fruit in your hair
I said "What gives?" and you said "I do"
And that was the last sense I ever got from you

Am I wasting my love on you?
Am I wasting my love on you?
Am I wasting my love on you?
Must be better things I can do

Well I'm wasting my love, wasting my love, wasting my love on you
Wasting my love, wasting my love, wasting my love on you

Am I wasting my love on you?
Am I wasting my love on you?
Am I wasting my love on you?
Must be better things I can do

I went to your house, and I drank your tea
We were getting very cosy on Greek philosophy
You chewed on my ear and when I begged for more
You went off to bed, barricaded the door

Am I wasting my love on you?
Am I wasting my love on you?
Am I wasting my love on you?
Must be better things I can do
Than wasting my love, wasting my love, wasting my love on you
Am I wasting my love, wasting my love, wasting my love on you
I'm wasting my love, wasting my love, wasting my love on you
Am I wasting my love, wasting my love, wasting my love on you

No comments:

Post a Comment