Wednesday, October 26, 2016

*Once More Into The Time Capsule, Part Two- The New York Folk Revival Scene in the Early 1960’s-BonnieDobson

Click on title to link to YouTube's film clip of Tim Rose (co-writer of the song) performing "Morning Dew".



CD Review

Washington Square Memoirs: The Great Urban Folk Revival Boom, 1950-1970, various artists, 3CD set, Rhino Records, 2001




Except for the reference to the origins of the talent brought to the city the same comments apply for this CD. Rather than repeat information that is readily available in the booklet and on the discs I’ll finish up here with some recommendations of songs that I believe that you should be sure to listen to:



Disc Two: Dave Van Ronk on “He Was A Friend Of Mine” and You’se A Viper”, The Chad Mitchell Trio on “Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream”, Hedy West on “500 Miles”, Ian &Sylvia on “Four Strong Winds”, Tom Paxton on “I Can’t Help But Wonder Where I’m Bound”, Peter, Paul And Mary on “Blowin’ In The Wind”, Bob Dylan on “Boots Of Spanish Leather”, Jesse Colin Young on “Four In The Morning”, Joan Baez on “There But For Fortune”, Judy Roderick on “Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?”, Bonnie Dobson on “Morning Dew”, Buffy Sainte-Marie on “Cod’ine” and Eric Von Schmidt on “ Joshua Gone Barbados”.



Bonnie Dobson on “Morning Dew”. Bonnie Dobson would not be a female singer that would have made my previously mentioned lists of ‘not Joan Baez’s’ but off of this recording she could have been. That high soprano voice and mournful delivery was the epitome (for worshipful males, and maybe females as well) of how we wanted our “love” songs done. Some female folk singers have lasted, including Baez herself. I do not know the fate of Bonnie Dobson but the musical world is filled to overflowing with one-hit Johnnies and Janie’s. Folk is no exception to that rule but this song has now gained, rightly, a measure of immortality.



"Morning Dew"



Walk me out in the morning dew my honey,
Walk me out in the morning dew today.
I can't walk you out in the morning dew my honey,
I can't walk you out in the morning dew today.

I thought I heard a baby cry this morning,
I thought I heard a baby cry this today.
You didn't hear no baby cry this morning,
You didn't hear no baby cry today.

Where have all the people gone my honey,
Where have all the people gone today.
There's no need for you to be worrying about all those people,
You never see those people anyway.

I thought I heard a young man moan this morning,
I thought I heard a young man moan today.
I thought I heard a young man moan this morning,
I can't walk you out in the morning dew today.

Walk me out in the morning dew my honey,
Walk me out in the morning dew today.
I'll walk you out in the morning dew my honey,
I guess it doesn't really matter anyway,
I guess it doesn't matter anyway,
I guess it doesn't matter anyway,
Guess it doesn't matter anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment