Friday, August 24, 2018

Once Again, When ABBA Exploded The Known Musical Universe And Put It On A Small Greek Island- Amanda Seyfried s “Mama Mia!-Here We Go Again” (2018)-A Film Review

Once Again, When ABBA Exploded The Known Musical Universe And Put It On A Small Greek Island- Amanda Seyfried s “Mama Mia!-Here We Go Again” (2018)-A Film Review



DVD Review
By Intern Josie Davis
Mama Mia! Here We Go Again  (When I reviewed the original version of this film I was told by Greg Green the site manager to use this title to both avoid confusion with the earlier film since they both have the same theme and most of the same cast and to replicate the way the film has been publicized), starring the divine Meryl Streep in essentially a cameo role, Amanda Seyfried up close and personal on this one, Pierce Brosnan at one time the dashing James Bond in a few films in that series, Colin Firth who somebody told me used to be to be the King of England and gave it up for his boyfriend,  Stellan Starsgard who used to be a guy named Terry with a junkie wife who owned a glass house in Malibu but got too greedy and got wasted for his troubles, Julie Walters and Christine Baranski two members of the famous doo wop, no, disco, trio Donna and the Dynamos who tore up the stage when I saw them in New York City one night with my girlfriends from high school several years ago, music by ABBA, 2018         
*******
I mentioned in my review of the 2008 version of Mama Mia!  that I was thrilled to be writing my first film review for this publication, for Greg Green and now as agreed since he was happy with my first production I am reviewing the sequel. (Once again I should mention that Greg said the way things are in the publication business today that I had better mention that I was Greg’s daughter Elsa’s roommate in journalism graduate school at NYU-something about transparency otherwise the whole thing will stink of nepotism, so I have again written what he has asked me to do). I am working here as a paid intern to learn the journalism trade and right off the bat Greg had assigned me this Mama Mia! Here We Are film which I had just seen and loved. Not only that but since Elsa already told me that her father was very thorough I got to do a review of the first one as well which he told me was to get a fresh look from new eyes about the relative merits of the two. Zack James one of the friendly older writers here who wrote the review of the original helped me with his perspective although he said musicals were not his thing and he thought there were too many musical and dance interludes something I thought was great since the storyline was pretty simple. The conditions that an intern works under here are that, since we are not covered by Guild regulations, we are paid by the word so I was doubly thrilled to have two reviews to do since my rent would be coming up and I could use the money since my parents had told me after paying for graduate school I have to fend for myself. “Learn to fly” as my father put the matter in his usual gruff way.         
Maybe the reader did not need to know that last part again, the rent money and parent abandonment part but from the last review I mentioned  a funny, wise, kind of looking like a modern version of  Merlin the Magician older writer, Sam Lowell, told me that writers getting paid by the word went out with the Pony Express and it is a shame that they are calling what he called stringers “interns” to get slave labor to do the work otherwise assigned to active Guild members. Here is where he was wise-Sam, he told me to call him Sam, said to play the game for all it is worth, to write like he did when he was starting out say, 10, 000 words when everybody knew that the space available for the piece was maybe 3000 words. They had to pay for the former number no matter how much they edited the piece down once it had been assigned. Again I will write like crazy including what Sam me told to include that I have already written since Greg likes, allows his writers, I still like how that word sounds regarding me, to let the readership know some of the “inside” stuff about the publishing business, the hard-hat water cooler stuff so I will again oblige.      
Sarah Lemoyne, who went to NYU journalism school a few years before Elsa and me, told me before I finished my first review to avoid Sam Lowell like the plague and went out of her way to warn me again after Sam told Greg that I had “the right stuff.” Told me, again that it was only a matter of time before he would have me writing his reviews for him under his by-line and would keep me a stringer, intern I told her again like the category was brand new in the business, forever again using the example of what almost happened to legendary break-through by-line writers Leslie Dumont before she got her big break with Women Today once she saw the writing on the wall here. Sarah said I would probably, if Sam was in a rush, grab some studio press release and have me doll it up. Funny, Sam still seems like a kindly old man, for the old school who knows how to pay a colleague a compliment and give good advice and encouragement,  a little wizard and while Sarah seems to be the star amount the younger up and coming writers and is being championed by the legendary Seth Garth whom I first heard about at NYU I haven’t been here, haven’t been as Sam says around the water cooler long enough to get an idea of who the players are and what they have in mind. All I know is that I want to be a film reviewer, maybe books and music later, and that Sam has been nice to me and gave me this additional information once again and which has in the Sarah business proved true-this is a cutthroat business so keep your own counsel. Listen to what everybody who has something to say have their say and then discard most of it and just write that pure, fine high white line you studied about in school. And forget the fossil “pyramid” lead nonsense which went out with the pharaohs although they still teach that stuff like it was the new dispensation in the journalism schools.
I have heard from more than one source, actually several since the last review, that Sarah is “sweet” on Seth, he told me to call him Seth although I feel funny calling these older guys by their first names since in grad school when some high-blown journalist came through it was Ms. This or Mr. That, even though she has a partner, a woman, whom she is having an affair with. I still don’t know how to take what she has said about Sam, about him maybe taking dead aim at me which is ridiculous since he has his long- time companion Laura Perkins who also writes here (and who when I met her watched him like a hawk and still does especially after his water cooler praise of me to fellow writers). I see what this cutthroat stuff is all about more clearly now regarding people cutting people but I am just going to write my brains out so Greg can still say he made the right decision taking Elsa’s recommendation.
Here is the “skinny” a cute word that Sam said he coined way back when he was also young and hungry to let people know a little bit about the plot and whether they should bother to see the film if is a “dog.”  I had already telegraphed that I liked the sequel  so I was prepared despite Zack to like the original and I did although now I wished I had seen them in the correct order because I had not been   aware that Sam, played by Pierce Brosnan, had actually made Donna an honest woman, had married her which makes his grieving in the sequel make more sense.
Sam Lowell, actually Sarah Lemoyne said the same thing before I wrote my first review but I will still give Sam the credit since he has been so helpful, said that musicals don’t let plot get in the way of the Tin Pan Alley songs and the dancing when dancing is part of the project as here in a couple of spectacular episodes. And Sam was right on the face of it. The boy and girl had already met so that was no real factor-the real part was that young Sophie, played by Amanda Seyfried was desperate to get married and get the hell off the island prison of a hotel that her single-parent Mom, Donna, played by very versatile Meryl Streep, had dwelt in since she was born. She loves her beau but doesn’t want to wind up like her mother who drifted to the island after a whirlwind spree with three lovers when she was younger. That three lovers will again anchor the “controversy” central to the film-which one in pre-DNA times is the father she never knew taking a cue from Jack Kerouac among others in the unknown fathers pantheon (this courtesy of Sam who is something of an expert on the “beats” from the 1950s who I have heard of in passing but really don’t know anything about).       
Motivated by the desire to know who her father is, and to gain some peace of mind, she had invited the three likeliest candidates, Sam, Harry and Bill to the island to see “what is what” and also to have her “father” give her away in the time-honored tradition. Fine, except dear mother, dear Donna who as I mentioned in the cast line-up I saw with her group Donna and the Dynamos in New York City when I was in high school, who has raised her alone is pissed off that the three guys are around. That produced angst, alienation and a few heart-felt songs and dances between the two before the wedding bells ring but seemed to be resolved nicely by having Mom give daughter away-which seemed right. Hold the cameras though just as Sophie and her man, her Sky are about to tie the knot and unleash who knows what song and dance cascade at the reception Sophie calls the whole thing off after deciding that like any thoroughly modern Millie they should live together and see the world. In any case that new decision brings forth a cascade of song and dance so all is well that ends well. Except Sophie never does find out who her father is and the three guys are just as happy to cut her in thirds-metaphorically. And guess what as I have already mentioned Sam and Donna get married in Sophie and Sky’s place.
Fast forward five, six years, same freaking isolated hillside Greek island hotel with one big exception-Donna as passed through the shades, has died. Now Sophie is ready to seriously tie the Sky knot and have the wedding and reception at the slightly refurbished inn. Then the deluge as three suspect papas, and two Donna dynamos show up to get the kid and her beau through the freaking nuptials. And in the end they will but not before another round of doubt and wonder about what Mama would say, another bout on who Papa is, attempts to placate grieving Sam-stepfather- and plenty of singing and dancing at the drop of a hat. Like I said I did like this film, did like the singing and dancing but after two musical reviews I can see where Zack James might be right that a little goes a long way. In the interest of completeness there we are. (I hope that in 2028 there is not yet another sequel where I will have to tutor some young stringer about my take on the first two like I had to with Zack on the first one.     

No comments:

Post a Comment