Saturday, September 06, 2014


As The 100th Anniversary Of The First Year Of World War I (Remember The War To End All Wars) Continues ... Some Remembrances-Poet’s Corner-German Jewish Poets   

ROBERT ZIEGEL (1895-1916)


SOUNDS OF ELLUL  

(This is the Hebrew month preceding the High Holiday autumn season.)

A black and rainy evening
With vague feelings of fear
 Alive with garish shrieking
Of shots both far and  near.
 
What bring you, laughing soldier
To my heart’s dark command
When I, pensive and sober,
In my own grave do stand

What strange column unmoving
Appears with such dark dread?
-- Oh, friends you are still living! --
Death, is your realm not fed?

At home with pious greeting
Loved ones the graves do search
Where are the dead now meeting?
The wind blows o’er the church

Death touches grave and heather
And sings: “This have I done.”
Perhaps from my eyes forever
Night will now hide the sun.

Translated by Peter Appelbaum

No comments:

Post a Comment