Saturday, April 05, 2014

There is something Chelsea wants you to know
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
Chelsea Manning Support Network

As we enter the upcoming appeal process, help us continue to cover 100% of Chelsea Manning's legal fees! Donate today.


Chelsea Manning and her new attorney have
a message for you

By Chelsea Manning, March 17, 2014
I would like to thank all of you for your support. Without your efforts–including organizing, fundraising, and public education–my court martial would not have been nearly as visible to the public, and many of the serious issues in my case would have gone unnoticed.
Currently I’m doing well. I spend most of my time working, but when I’m not working I’m either at the library doing legal research and drafting, reading books, magazines, newspapers, and your mail, or working out–running, calisthenics, and various cardio regimens.
I’m currently waiting for the Convening Authority of the Military District of Washington, Major General Jeffrey Buchanan, to act on my case–including my clemency request, filed by my trial attorney David Coombs. If Major General Buchanan denies my request and approves the findings of my court martial, my case will be reviewed by the US Army Court of Criminal Appeals next year.
In preparing for the appeals phase of my legal proceedings, I have worked with Courage to Resist and the Chelsea Manning Support Network to hire excellent civilian defense council, Nancy Hollander and Vincent Ward of the law firm Freedman Boyd Hollander Goldberg Urias & Ward of Albuquerque, New Mexico.

As we enter the upcoming appeal process, help us continue to cover 100% of Chelsea Manning's legal fees! Donate today.


I’ve spoken a few times with both Ms. Hollander and Mr. Ward over the phone and I met them in person last month. I feel they are a perfect fit for doing this case, and we’re all excited about working together. Both Ms. Hollander and Mr. Ward have achieved successes in complex, high profile, civil and criminal cases in the past, fighting to protect the U.S. Constitution, civil liberties, and social justice through work on Guantanamo, the Gulf Coast Oil Spill, and more. They are eager to represent me before the military court, federal court, and perhaps even the Supreme Court.
I hope that you will continue supporting my fight for justice. My case impacts important issues that affect many, if not all Americans. These include the rights of an accused not to be subjected to harsh and unnecessary pretrial punishment, the right to a speedy trial, the right to timely and complete access to relevant evidence held by the government, and the right to a public trial. Your support for my case going forward can even help to define the limits of power held by the military’s convening authorities, the Executive Branch, and the US Government.
Again, thank you for your overwhelming support thus far. I have stayed–and continued to be–optimistic throughout all of what has happened. I sincerely hope that we can continue working together to change history.
Salutations with warm regards,
CHELSEA E. MANNING
US Disciplinary Barracks
Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

March 17, 2014
We are honored that Chelsea Manning has chosen us to represent her on appeal and we enter this case with our full commitment to it. As soon as we have the record of trial, we will turn every page and research all issues. We will not let fear or intimidation interfere with her constitutional rights.
NANCY HOLLANDER
Freedman Boyd Hollander Goldberg Urias & Ward P.A.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Last week we retained attorneys Nancy Hollander and Vincent Ward to represent Pvt. Chelsea (formerly Bradley) Manning moving forward into the appeals process. We simply can’t allow this outrageous 35 year prison sentence for sharing the truth to stand–while war criminals go free! We are now counting on your tax-deductible donation, of whatever you can afford, to cover the $50,000 retainer of Chelsea’s chosen appeals team.
JEFF PATERSON
Courage to Resist, Project Director
Chelsea Manning Support Network, Steering Committee

As we enter the upcoming appeal process, help us continue to cover 100% of Chelsea Manning's legal fees! Donate today.







No comments:

Post a Comment