Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Preacher Man- Son House

CD REVIEW

Son House Revisited, Son House, 2-disc set, Fuel Records, 2002


This review was used for a previous review of Son House's work. This compilation is very similar although there are more preacher type blues in this set.

I recently reviewed Mississippi John Hurt’s The Last Sessions in this space. Hurt was ‘discovered’ in the early 1960’s by young, mainly white, folk singers looking to find the roots of American music. Well, Hurt was not the only old black country blues player ‘discovered’ during that period. There is a now famous still picture (as well as well as video performance clip. I wonder if it is on YouTube?) of Hurt along with the legendary Skip James and the musician under review Son House jamming at the Newport Folk Festival in 1963. That was a historic (and probably one of the last possible) moments to hear these legends of country blues in one spot together.

And why was House on that stage with Hurt and James? Well, the short answer is that old flailing National steel guitar of his. However, the real answer is that like Hurt he represented a piece of American music that was fast fading away, at least in its original form –the country blues. Can anyone beat the poignancy of Death Letter Blues or bitterness of Levee Moan? Or when House gets preachy on John the Revelator and other old time religious songs of shout and response. The tension between being a preacher man and doing the ‘devil’s work (playing the blues) is more clearly felt in House’s work than in Hurt’s.

House’s repertoire is not as extensive as Hurt’s and there is a little sameness of some of the lyrics here but when he is hot watch out. There is another famous film clip of him sitting in a chair on stage alone under the hot lights flailing away at the guitar almost trance-like, sweating buckets doing Death Letter Blues. That is the scene you want to evoke when you listen to this selection. And do listen.

2 comments:

  1. Ive never heard a bad recording with Son House, even Muddy Waters recorded some weak things, its unfair I know, after all Muddy recorded much more, but still...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdgrQoZHnNY

    So into his own world that its impossible not to join him in there somewhere.

    One of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are the lyrics for the famous Death Letter Blues performance mentioned above but the printed page hardly does justice to them or Son House's playing of the song.

    Son House - Death Letter Blues Lyrics

    Hey, I solemnly swear, Lord, I raise my right hand
    That I'm goin' get me a woman, you get you another man
    I solemnly swear, Lord, I raise my right hand
    That I'm goin' get me a woman, you get you another man

    I got a letter this morning, how do you reckon it read?
    "Oh, hurry, hurry, gal, you love is dead"
    I got a letter this morning, how do you reckon it read?
    "Oh, hurry, hurry, gal, you love is dead"

    I grabbed my suitcase, I took off, up the road
    I got there, she was laying on the cooling board
    I grabbed my suitcase, I took on up the road
    I got there, she was laying on the cooling board

    Well, I walked up close, I looked down in her face
    Good old gal, you got to lay here till Judgment Day
    I walked up close, and I looked down in her face
    Yes, been a good old gal, got to lay here till Judgment Day

    Oh, my woman so black, she stays apart of this town
    Can't nothin' "go" when the poor girl is around
    My black mama stays apart of this town
    Oh, can't nothing "go" when the poor girl is around

    Oh, some people tell me the worried blues ain't bad (note 1)
    It's the worst old feelin' that I ever had
    Some people tell me the worried blues ain't bad
    Buddy, the worst old feelin', Lord, I ever had

    Hmmm, I fold my arms, and I walked away
    "That's all right, mama, your trouble will come someday"
    I fold my arms, Lord, I walked away
    Say, "That's all right, mama, your trouble will come someday"

    ReplyDelete