Monday, May 13, 2019

Happy Birthday Robert Johnson -The "Kings" Of "Dinkytown"** In Their Prime- Spider John Koerner/Dave Ray/Tony Glover

Click on title to link to YouTube's film clip of the Tony Glover-directed film documentary "Blues, Rags & Hollers" from 1986 that forms a nice sequel to this CD done in 1963.

**Dinkytown refers to the student/hip ghetto, etc. of Minneapolis back in the days (and perhaps today as well). It also seemingly reflects on the range of the Koerner/Ray/Glover ambition.

CD Review

Blues, Rags& Hollers, Koerner, Ray& Glover, Vanguard Records, 1963

*The “Kings Of Dinkytown**” -The “Spider Man” Is In The House- The Music Of Folk’s Spider John Koerner and Sidekicks Dave Ray And Tony Glover

In a review of Spider John Koerner’s CD “Stargeezer” earlier this year I made the following comment that related to a question I was then asking about the fate of various male folk singers from the folk revival of the 1960s:

“Okay, Okay those of you who have been keeping tabs know that I have spend much of the last year, when not doing political commentary or book or movie reviews, reviewing many of the old time folk artists that, along with the blues, were the passion of my youth in the early 1960's. You might also know, if you are keeping tabs, that I have been attempting to answer a question that I have posed elsewhere in this space earlier about the fate or fates of various performers from that period. Spider John Koerner was a lesser known, but important, fixture on the Cambridge/Boston folk scene during that time, as well as later once the hubbub died down and he and a local stalwart, Mr. Bones, carried on the tradition in smaller venues and in front of smaller crowds.”

Well, here we go back to the basics of why I attentively listened to an old folk radio on late Sunday nights during my youth in order to learn what Koerner /Ray/Glover were up as they tried, and succeeded although it was a near thing, to translate their love of the blues in its country form into something that whites could appreciate and blacks could respect. Forty plus years out we know that white guys (and gals) can sing the blues, a bit differently from black guys (and gals) but the blues nevertheless. Tops on my list here are their version of the Robert Johnson/Elmore James classic "Dust My Broom" and the Blind Lemon Jefferson-inspired "One Kind Favor".

Song Lyrics: I Believe I'll Dust My Broom
Written and recorded by: Robert Johnson (1936)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm goin' get up in the mornin', I believe I'll dust my broom
I'm goin' get up in the mornin', I believe I'll dust my broom
Girlfriend, the black man you been lovin', girlfriend, can get my room

I'm gon' write a letter, telephone every town I know
I'm gon' write a letter, telephone every town I know
If I can't find her in West Helena, she must be in East Monroe I know

I don't want no woman, wants every downtown man she meet
I don't want no woman, wants every downtown man she meet
She's a no good doney, they shouldn't allow her on the street

I believe, I believe I'll go back home
I believe, I believe I'll go back home
You can mistreat me here, babe, but you can't when I go home

And I'm gettin' up in the mornin', I believe I'll dust my broom
I'm gettin' up in the mornin', I believe I'll dust my broom
Girlfriend, the black man you been lovin', girlfriend, can get my room

I'm gonna call up Chiney, see is my good girl over there
I'm gonna call up China, see is my good girl over there
'F I can't find her on Philippine's island, she must be in Ethiopia somewhere


© (1978) 1990, 1991 Lehsem II, LLC/Claud L. Johnson
Administered by Music & Media International, Inc.

Robert Johnson
(Robert Leroy Johnson)
May 8, 1911 - August 16, 1938


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Dust My Broom"
Lyrics as rewritten recorded by Elmore James
(Based on Robert Johnson's "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom")
(Song Recorded - 1959)


I'm gettin' up soon in the mornin'
I believe I'll dust my broom
I'm gettin' up soon in the mornin'
I believe I'll dust my broom
I quit the best girl I'm lovin',
now my friends can get in my room

I'm gonna write a letter, telephone every town I know
I'm gonna write a letter, telephone every town I know
If I don't find her in Mississippi,
she be in East Monroe I know

And I don't want no woman,
wants every downtown man she meets
No I don't want no woman,
wants every downtown man she meets
Man, she's a no good doney,
they shouldn't allow her on the street, yeah

I believe, I believe my time ain't long
I believe, I believe my time ain't long
I ain't gonna leave my baby,
and break up my happy home

No comments:

Post a Comment