Sunday, October 25, 2009

*Once More Into The Time Capsule, Part One-The New York Folk Revival Scene in the Early 1960’s-Glenn Yarborough

Click on title to link to YouTube's film clip of 'Cowboy' Bob Dylan (Brooklyn-born Ramblin' Jack Elliott is not alone) performing "Spanish Is The Loving Tongue. Where is Glenn Yarbrough. No luck on YouTube for him. Hey, I really like this song and in this space, at least here, I control the clicker. Okay? If not I'll meet you on Main Street in Dodge City. Oops, I got carried away. Sorry.

CD Review

Washington Square Memoirs: The Great Urban Folk Revival Boom, 1950-1970, various artists, 3CD set, Rhino Records, 2001

"Except for the reference to the origins of the talent brought to the city the same comments apply for this CD. Rather than repeat information that is readily available in the booklet and on the discs I’ll finish up here with some recommendations of songs that I believe that you should be sure to listen to:

Disc One; Woody Guthrie on “Hard Travelin’”, Big Bill Broonzy on “Black , Brown And White”, Jean Ritchie on “Nottamun Town”, Josh White on “One Meat Ball” Malvina Reynolds on “Little Boxes”, Cisco Houston on “Midnight Special”, The Weavers on “Wasn’t That A Time”, Glenn Yarborough on “Spanish Is A Loving Tongue”, Odetta on “I’ve Been Driving On Bald Mountain”, The New Lost City Ramblers on “Don’t Let Your Deal Go Down”, Bob Gibson and Bob Camp on “Betty And Dupree”, Ramblin’ Jack Elliott on “San Francisco Bay Blues”, Peggy Seeger on “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face”, Hoyt Axton on “Greenback Dollar” and Carolyn Hester on “Turn And Swing Jubilee”."

Glenn Yarborough on “Spanish Is A Loving Tongue”. Honestly I am not that familiar with Glenn Yarborough although I know his name and some of his work from the 1960s television show “Hootenanny” that was a great source for the expansion (and commercialization) of folk music to a greater audience that the coffeehouses and parks of the big cities. His rendition here, I think, is an expression of that commercialization of this old time cowboy thwarted love song. Here is the antidote-listen to Bob Dylan and The Band doing it on Volume Five of “The Genuine Basement Tapes” done while Dylan was in ‘exile’ in upstate New York after 1966. Then you will know how a folkie should sing this one.

"Spanish Is The Loving Tongue"

ORIGINAL LYRICS BY CHARLES BADGER CLARK, JR.

Originally published in Charles Badger Clark, Sun and Saddle Leather, Boston, 1915; later included in N. Howard Thorp, Songs of the Cowboys, Boston, 1921. Music: unknown composer; most commonly used melody from the singing of Richard Dyer-Bennett (learned from Sam Eskin), transcribed in The People's Songs Bulletin (Vol. 3, No. 11).


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Spanish is the loving tongue,
Soft as music, light as spray:
'Twas a girl I learned it from,
Living down Sonora way.
I don't look much like a lover,
Yet I say her love words over,
Often when I'm all alone --
"Mi amor, mi corazón."
Nights when she knew where I'd ride
She would listen for my spurs,
Fling the big door open wide,
Raise them laughin' eyes of hers;
And my heart would nigh stop beating
When I heard her tender greeting,
Whispered soft for me alone --
"Mi amor, mi corazón."

Moonlight in the patio,
Old Senora nodding near,
Me and Juana talking low
So the Madre couldn't hear;
How those hours would go a-flyin'!
And too soon I'd hear her sighin'
In her little sorry tone --
"Adios, mi corazón!"

But one time I had to fly
For a foolish gamblin' fight,
And we said a swift goodbye
In that black unlucky night.
When I'd loosed her arms from clingin'
With her words the hoofs kept ringin'
As I galloped north alone --
"Adios, mi corazón!"

Never seen her since that night --
I can't cross the Line, you know.
She was "Mex" and I was white;
Like as not it's better so.
Yet I've always sort of missed her
Since that last wild night I kissed her;
Left her heart and lost my own --
"Adios, mi corazón!"

No comments:

Post a Comment