Saturday, August 06, 2016

*Songs To While Away The Class Struggle By- Phil Och's "Chords Of Fame"

Click on the title to link a website to hear the above-mentioned Phil Ochs song.

In this series, presented under the headline “Songs To While Away The Class Struggle By”, I will post some songs that I think will help us get through the “dog days” of the struggle for our communist future. I do not vouch for the political thrust of the songs; for the most part they are done by pacifists, social democrats, hell, even just plain old ordinary democrats. And, occasionally, a communist, although hard communist musicians have historically been scarce on the ground. Thus, here we have a regular "popular front" on the music scene. While this would not be acceptable for our political prospects, it will suffice for our purposes here. Markin.

***********

Markin comment:

This is a continuation of entries for folksinger/songwriter Phil Och's who back in the early 1960s stood right up there with Bob Dylan in the protest songwriting category. The entries on this date testify to that. However, early on I sensed something special about Dylan and never really warmed up to Ochs. His singing style did not "move" me and that counted for a lot in those days. The rest just turned on preference.

*******

Chords Of Fame Lyrics
E
I found him by the stage last night
D A
He was breathing his last breath
E
A bottle of wine and a cigarette
D A
Was all that he had left

"I can see you make the music
D E
'Cause you carry a guitar
A
God help the troubadour
F#m G
Who tries to be a star"

G# A G A
So play the chords of love, my friend
G A
Play the chords of pain
D A
If you want to keep your song,
E A G A
Don't, don't, don't, don't play the chords of fame

I seen my share of hustlers
As they try to take the world
When they find their melody
They're surrounded by the girls
But it all fades so quickly
Like a sunny summer day
Reporters ask you questions
They write down what you say

(chorus)

They'll rob you of your innocence
They will put you up for sale
The more that you will find success
The more that you will fail
I been around, I've had my share
And I really can't complain
But I wonder who I left behind
The other side of fame

(chorus)

No comments:

Post a Comment