Sunday, February 16, 2014

*** Once Again -Legendary Folk- Singer And Archivist Pete Seeger Passes at 94…

 
 
 

There were more profound influences on my folk music appreciation in the early 1960s than Pete Seeger like say the early Bob Dylan. In short the ability to recite from memory the lines from Dylan’s Positively Fourth Street or Like A Rolling Stone to the straight long-haired folkie girls in Harvard Square that I was fatally attracted to rather than say Pete’s Where Have All The Flowers Gone?  gave me more traction. There were more memorable songs than Pete’s that I heard when I first came to folk music after listening to Dave Von Ronk’s Come All You Fair And Tender Ladies. Ditto on the traction. But the transmission belt for all of that folk tradition, all of that after Woody Guthrie’s health failed him, was one Pete Seeger. That is a worthy epitaph for a man who gave the genre his all. RIP-Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment