Sunday, May 07, 2017

17 May - Celebrate Chelsea Manning Freedom!

 
4 attachments


Chelsea 1.jpg
CHELSEA MANNING
International Victory Day!
17 May 2017

DEFEND ALL WHISTLEBLOWERS
http://www.refusingtokill.net/images/Chelsea%202017.jpg
Chelsea Manning is going to be free! Celebrate with us!
On International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia, Chelsea will come out of prison after seven years. 
Her 35-year sentence was commuted by Obama. It was a victory for Chelsea of course, but also for all of us in many countries who supported her and benefited from her courageous whistleblowing: the international women and lgbtq movements, the anti-war and anti-racist movements, the movements of whistleblowers, war veterans, refuseniks and everyone who stands for justice.

On 17 May, we celebrate Chelsea’s freedom in many cities:
·       In London we will have a celebration vigil on the steps of St Martin-in-the-Fields (Trafalgar Sq. WC2 N 4JJ) from 5.30 – 7 pm.   And Peace News is having  a party at Housmans bookshop from 7pm.
·       So far events that we know of are also planned in BostonPhiladelphia and San Francisco. Details to be confirmed soon.
·       WE INVITE YOU TO ORGANISE AN EVENT, no matter how small: a protest, a vigil, a party.  Please send us news of your event and we’ll help publicise it.

In February, Chelsea wrote an extraordinary article thanking her mates in prison (below).
·        So tweet her (@xychelsea)send her a card or a photo to give her strength in these last days of her imprisonment. We must remain vigilant against any further persecution.
·        Send money to the Go home fund to help Chelsea reconstruct her life when she goes home.

Defend all whistleblowers
This is also an occasion to defend the thousands of whistleblowers who are persecuted for disclosing abuse and corruption in every institution. Wikileaks, who made public Chelsea’s disclosures, is now in greater danger after the US attorney general just declared the arrest of the WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was a “priority”, at a time when Trump has made torture “legal*. 
whistleblowers protest 22 March 2017.JPG
Protest in London organised by Compassion in Care & The Whistler, 22 March 2017 to demand Edna’s law to protect whistleblowers. Another action is planned in June.
*According to Jean Ziegler from the Consultative Committee of the UN Human Rights Council, ‘Trump has ratified the 2002 Bush’s executive order legalising  torture’ against ‘terror suspects’. See video (at 1h 5m).
UK+44 (0) 20 7482 2496
 US: 001 415-626 4114
UK: +44 (0)20 7267 8698
US: 001 215 848 1120

Letter from Chelsea - 13 February 2017
To those who have kept me alive for the past six years: minutes after President Obama announced the commutation of my sentence, the prison quickly moved me out of general population and into the restrictive housing unit where I am now held. I know that we are now physically separated, but we will never be apart and we are not alone. Recently, one of you asked me “Will you remember me?” I will remember you. How could I possibly forget? You taught me lessons I would have never learned otherwise.
When I was afraid, you taught me how to keep going. When I was lost, you showed me the way. When I was numb, you taught me how to feel. When I was angry, you taught me how to chill out. When I was hateful, you taught me how to be compassionate. When I was distant, you taught me how to be close. When I was selfish, you taught me how to share.
Sometimes, it took me a while to learn many things. Other times, I would forget, and you would remind me.
We were friends in a way few will ever understand. There was no room to be superficial. Instead, we bared it all. We could hide from our families and from the world outside, but we could never hide from each other.
We argued, we bickered and we fought with each other. Sometimes, over absolutely nothing. But, we were always a family. We were always united.
When the prison tried to break one of us, we all stood up. We looked out for each other. When they tried to divide us, and systematically discriminated against us, we embraced our diversity and pushed back. But, I also learned from all of you when to pick my battles. I grew up and grew connected because of the community you provided
Those outside of prison may not believe that we act like human beings under these conditions. But of course we do. And we build our own networks of survival.
I never would have made it without you. Not only did you teach me these important lessons, but you made sure I felt cared for. You were the people who helped me to deal with the trauma of my regular haircuts. You were the people who checked on me after I tried to end my life. You were the people that played fun games with me. Who wished me a Happy Birthday. We shared the holidays together. You were and will always be family.
For many of you, you are already free and living outside of the prison walls. Many of you will come home soon. Some of you still have many years to go.
The most important thing that you taught me was how to write and how to speak in my own voice. I used to only know how to write memos. Now, I write like a human being, with dreams, desires and connections. I could not have done it without you.
From where I am now, I still think of all of you. When I leave this place in May, I will still think of all of you. And to anyone who finds themselves feeling alone behind bars, know that there is a network of us who are thinking of you. You will never be forgotten.
SOURCE The Guardian
To contact Chelsea: Tweet  @xychelsea  By post: details here.

No comments:

Post a Comment