Thursday, January 25, 2018

Yeah, The Dark Night Alright When The World Needed Super-heroes And Psychos To Bring Us Down In The Mud –“The Dark Knight” aka Batman (2008)-An Anti-Film Review

Yeah, The Dark Night Alright When The World Needed Super-heroes And Psychos To Bring Us Down In The Mud –“The Dark Knight” aka Batman (2008)-An Anti-Film Review  



DVD Review

By Greg Green

Batman: The Dark Knight, Christian Bale, Heath Leger, 2008

As a rule I don’t review or in this case anti-review, films although I am the one who does the assignments sometimes based on suggestions from the writers and sometimes from something I see as pressing to review. In any case I always review the films personally to see whether they have enough going at some level to be reviewed in this space. This is the first time however in the short time I have been here and in my many years at the American Film Gazette that I have refused to assign one of my writers to write a review of something I have seen and have decided it was beneath anyone’s dignity to write about, even the woe begotten stringers and “on specs.”  

I have been kidded, sometimes mercifully by young and older writers alike, about my attempts to get to a younger audience in this space (and the past few years at the Gazette for some of the same reasons) by reviewing various youth-oriented films like ones about cinematic versions of comic books like Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. They chided me that I was pandering to the butter drenched popcorn and refillable soda pop cup young people who could care less about film reviews and only cared about sitting through a couple of hours of bam-bam action whatever the quality, or lack of quality. Could care less what the paid film critics thought was being produced. What symbolism the film was trying to get at.

Despite my own growing misgivings about continuing to dwell on these type films since it was beginning to dawn on me that they all were the same bam-bam action which left some writers who had to review the films numb I kept going forward. Keep up my own pre-viewing including the film The Dark Knight which is why I have declared this an anti-review. This despite the fact that the film grossed a zillion dollars, the kids went cuckoo to see it and the critics, the paid-up Hollywood critics, gave it positive reviews. The high-brow ones from some of the reviews I read trying to see how the struggle that unfolds between vigilante Batman, in this rendition played by Christian Bale, and the psychopathic Joker, played by the late Heath Leger who actually won a posthumous Oscar for his supporting actor role replicated the post-9/11 struggles of various world leaders against whatever brand of Islamic fundamentalism was on top at any given moment.

WTF. Like any kid (remember butter-drenched popcorn and soda sugar-high) gave a damn about that symbolic eternal war business. Or any adult either who would watch the thing. Or, and this goes to the real problem here, would sent their kids with a twenty, maybe a twenty and a ten to see the thing. I have already outlined in about one sentence the inevitable struggle between good and evil (or better marginally civilized society versus the utter dregs). Whatever the virtue of that notion as a plot-driver the real deal is that this Joker psycho from hell was nothing but an excuse for some of the most gratuitous violence ever put on film in almost every scene in the film. With some acts so gruesome that they make me think that this was all very calculated to benumb everybody in the audience to accept this level of violent behavior as “cool.”  I have seldom felt the need to purge myself after viewing a film but then again previously I have never felt the need to “protect” my civilized writing staff from having to write about this pathological craziness. Enough said.           

           

No comments:

Post a Comment