Friday, December 16, 2016

*Etta James Is In The House- One More Time

Click on the title to link to YouTube's film clip of Etta James performing "I'd Rather Go Blind". Sorry, I could not find ""Please, No More" except by Joe Cocker.

CD Review

Let’s Roll, Etta James, Sony BMG Europe, 2003




The name Etta James goes back in my memory to associations with my first listening to rock music on the old transistor radio in the late 1950’s. At that time, I believe, her music was in the old doo wop tradition of the late 1950’s, a music that I was fairly soon to dismiss out of hand as the ‘bubble gum’ music that was prevalent in that period between the height of Elvis/Jerry Lee/Carl Perkins classic rock & rock and the Beatles and The Rolling Stones. That is where things were left until a dozen years ago or more when Etta ‘stole the show’ at the Newport Folk Festival. Well, we live and learn.

The stand outs here include: the rocking “Business Is Good,” the saucy “Lie No Better,” and Etta at her gospelly, bluesy best on “Please, No More”. Wow on that last one. That is worth the price of admission here.

"Please No More"- Joe Cocker Lyrics

We start a fight, who knows what for
Who knows who's winning, or who's keeping score
You say it's all right, as you slam the door
All I can say is, "Please no more, please no more."

I've had enough after how I swore
I'd never give you up
Loving you was easy, but one thing's for sure
It ain't me, it ain't me, you're trying to please no more.

Passions will burn, burn endlessly
All that's left behind are these broken dreams
While I still got some pieces laid out on the floor
I'm asking you baby, "Please no more, please no more."

I've had enough, after how I swore
I'd never give you up
Loving you was easy, but one thing's for sure
It ain't me, it ain't me, you're trying to please no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment