Sunday, July 21, 2019

On The Sixtieth Anniversary Of Her Death-Lady Day-Billie Holiday- She Took Our Pain Away Despite Her Own Pains- *Lady Sings The Blues-Billie Holiday, Natch

Click on the headline to link to a YouTube film clip of Billie Holiday performing Strange Fruit.

CD REVIEW

The Quintessential Billie Holiday, Volume 9, (1940-1942) Billie Holiday, Columbia, 1991


In my book, and I am hardly alone on this, Billie Holiday is the torch singer's torch singer. Maybe it is the phrasing on her best songs. That well-placed hush. Maybe it is the unbreakable link between her voice when she is on a roll and the arrangements. Hell, maybe in the end it was the dope but, by Jesus, she could sing a modern ballad of love, lost or both like no other. And if it was the dope, let me say this- a `normal' nice singer could sing for a hundred years and never get it right, the way Billie could get it right when she was at her best. Dope or no dope. Was she always at her best? These recordings done between 1940 and 1942 show the highs. Billie had mastered her trade.

Many of the songs on the current compilation are technically sound, a few not, as is to be expected on such re-mastering. You will like Am I Blue and In My Solitude. Can anyone every do a Cole Porter song better than Billie on Let's Do It. Or the phrasing of Johnny Mercer's Mandy and Me. Damn.

One last word- I have occasionally mentioned my love of Billie Holiday's music to younger acquaintances. Some of their responses reflecting, I think, the influence of the movie version of her life (Lady Sings the Blues with Diana Ross) or some unsympathetic black history 'up lift' type views on her life have written her off as an 'addled' doper. Here is my rejoinder- If when I am blue and need a pick me-up and put on a Billie platter (CD)and feel better then, my friends, I do not give a damn about the dope. Enough said.

The Quintessential Billie Holiday, Volume 6, (1938) Billie Holiday, Columbia, 1991


Many of the songs on this compilation are technically sound, a few not, as is to be expected on such re-mastering. For examples of what I mean by what I said in the first paragraph of this review check out the playfulness of You Go to My Head and If I Were You. The sentiment of The Very Thought of You and I Got a Date With A Dream. Hey, I don’t even usually like these kinds of songs composed by the masters of Tin Pan Alley but they had me had me humming along. That tells the tale here.

1 comment:

  1. To give a flavor of the lyrics that Billie could bust up here's are the ones to Am I Blue. I have heard Ethel Waters do it and Lauren Bacall (in To Have And To Have Not) but they are amateurs by comparison on this one.

    Am I Blue


    Am I blue
    Am I blue
    Ain't these tears in my eyes tellin' you
    Am I blue
    You would be too
    If your plans with your man
    Done fell through

    There was a time
    I was the only one
    And now I'm the sad and lonely one, lonely, lonely
    Was I gay, until today
    Now he's gone and we're through
    Am I blue

    Oh, you know I'm blue
    Oh, you make me, make me so blue
    Ain't these tears in my eyes tellin' you
    Oh, you makin' me so blue
    You know, you know, know you do
    Now my plans with my man
    They done fell through

    There was a time
    That I was his only one
    And now I'm the sad and lonely one, lonely
    Was I gay, until today
    But now he's gone and we're through
    Am I blue

    ReplyDelete