Saturday, December 12, 2009

*In Folklorist Harry Smith’s House-"Old Dog Blue" — Jim Jackson (1928)

Click on the title to link to a presentation of the song listed in the headline.

The year 2009 has turned into something a year of review of the folk revival of the 1960s. In November I featured a posting of many of the episodes (via “YouTube”) of Pete Seeger’s classic folk television show from the 1960s, “Rainbow Quest”. I propose to do the same here to end out the year with as many of the selections from Harry Smith’s seminal “Anthology Of American Folk Music,” in one place, as I was able to find material for, either lyrics or "YouTube" performances (not necessarily by the original performer). This is down at the roots, for sure.

"Old Dog Blue"

Had an old doggie and I called him Blue
Listen, I'm gonna' tell you what Blue could do

Well I grabbed my gun and I blowed my horn
I am goin' to catch a possum in the new ground corn

Old Blue's got a possum up in a tree
Well I look up at him, and he looks at me

Well I grabbed my gun and I shot him down
And Old Blue picks up possum and he brings him around

Now Old Blue he's a fine old doggie
And I'm proud as a peacock he belonged to me

But when Old Blue died he died so old, so hard
I dug him a cold grave in my door yard

Well I dug Blue's grave with a silver spade
And I lowered Old Blue down on a link of chain

Now when I get to heaven first thing I'll do
Gonna' grab my old bugle and call up Blue

Come on Blue, Come on boy... I'm home

No comments:

Post a Comment