Thursday, August 26, 2010

*For The Folkies From Muskogee And Elsewhere- The Bob Feldman Music Blog On "My Space"-Barbara Dane's Speech To GI Movement Revisited: Part 4

Markin comment:

This is great stuff for any music aficionado, especially of folk, social protest, and roots music. I am going to be "stealing" entries off of this site periodically but you should be checking it out yourselves. Kudos, Bob Feldman.

************

Barbara Dane's Speech To GI Movement Revisited: Part 4
Current mood: thoughtful


Category: Music
In her speech to the GI Movement of the Vietnam War Era (whose text can be found in the booklet that's included in Paredon Records' FTA! Songs of the GI Resistance vinyl album of 1970), Barbara Dane said the following:

"I was too stubborn to hire one of the greed-head managers, probably because I'm a woman who likes to speak for herself. I always made my own deals and contracts, and after figuring out the economics of it, I was free to choose when and where I worked, able to spend lots more time with my three children and doing political work, and even brought home more money in the end, by not going for the "bigtime." I did make some really nice records, because I was able to choose and work with wonderfully gifted musicians. Some of them are: TROUBLE IN MIND--with Don Ewell, Pops Foster and others on San Francisco Records. LIVING WITH THE BLUES--with Earl "Fatha" Hines, Benny Carter, etc. on Dot. WHEN I WAS A YOUNG GIRL--solo, folk songs...on Tradition/Everett...I'M ON MY WAY--with Kenny Whitson, Wellman Braud, etc. on Capitol. BARBARA DANE AND THE CHAMBERS BROTHERS--on Folkwyas (Freedom Songs), BARBARA DANE SINGS BLUES with 6 and 12 string guitar, solo on Folkways..."


Read more: http://www.myspace.com/bobafeldman68music/blog?page=4#ixzz0xwjylpIx

No comments:

Post a Comment