Thursday, November 30, 2017

The 50th Anniversary Of The Summer Of Love-And Of The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club" Album

The 50th Anniversary Of The Summer Of Love-And Of The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club" Album  

Zack James comment;

Frankly although I was only a young very young teenager at the time I was not as enamored of this album as my older brothers and sisters were who were knee deep into the drug, sex and counter-cultural revolutions (which drove my conservative parents crazy) which I only knew about in passing. I would hear the music around the house from up in their rooms (when those conservative parenst were not around or on the jukebox at Doc's Drugstore up the Square or at school dances but it never moved me the way say the playing of Chuck Berry or Jerry Lee Lewis did at any of those locales and that music was even futher removed from my age cohort. 50 years later after a recent re-listening on YouTube I had the same impression despite my acquired knowledge that this album was the all time album seller and listen to even today-this album like the Stones' effort of the same time period Their Satanic Majesties have not to my ear aged well. (You do not see a single song from that latter album on any recent Stones' concert playlists.) Whereas let's say the almost unique It's A Beautiful Day album or some of the Jefferson Airplane albums like After Bathing At Baxter's seem still pretty fresh and representative of that sweet world Summer of Love, 1967 time before the ebbtide set in and we all were reduced to nostagia buffs.  











No comments:

Post a Comment