Wednesday, August 07, 2019

From The Archives Of The Struggle Against Climate Change And Animal Preservation-West Coast Version-Professor Lance Devine-Climate Guru Oops At Leisure

From The Archives Of The Struggle Against Climate Change And Animal Preservation-West Coast Version-Professor Johnny Allan-Climate Guru Oops At Leisure             

By Bart Webber

You know the very first thing, well if not the first thing then early on, Pete Markin always known as the Scribe, our corner boy resident intellectual in front of Tonio’s Pizza Parlor told me many years ago was never to underestimate your opponent, your enemy really. I wished I thought that gold nugget recently when I went after one Professor Johnny Allan, the great ecologist and con man (go figure). I had simply stated public information that in his prime he was treated like a living god in some circles for his early warning about climate change, animal extinction and human hubris. I have heard that there were cults out on the West Coast who burned incense and smoked weed, ganja in front of his portrait although I have never independently confirmed that to my satisfaction. Could have been just another urban legend.         

Naturally I went through the litany of his accomplishments from the old days basically updating the whole system of getting people interested in these subjects and grabbing contributions, large and small to do the work and awareness projects about what humankind was doing to many species by its wanton wasteful ways burning us up. I also pointed out that the good professor was nothing but a hard rock con man and fraud when he put together a very profitable operation sucking money away from legitimate environmental groups into his own pockets. A couple of people have written books on his lifetime of scams and cons so again this was public knowledge including that for various reasons none really that make sense governments never brought charges against him, and other organizations wouldn’t “play ball with the law” and so he walked.     

This was all a decade or more ago and given his birthdate I thought the old sniveling bastard had died since I had not heard much about him of late. No such luck. His lawyer sent me a letter, no, an e-mail pointing out that Johnny was still alive and angry that I had brought up the latter issues after all this time. Reason: Johnny believed that such talk would damage his little shop selling serapes and knickknacks in Olde Town San Diego and that I had defamed him. The lawyer wanted to talk money to settle out of court.  I, in my best corner boy manner, said fuck off with my defense being the truth of the matter. At the end of the archival caption I used to express my sentiments I noted the truth is a great defense and old Johnny would have to play some other sucker for dough (it did not look like that stall of his was thriving). I expected not to hear further from this rogue.

Then the other day I got a letter, certified, from that same lawyer asking again for dough but this time claiming all the “speculation” about Johnny’s scams was pure fantasy, was pure spite by losers and holy goofs (my expression). Said Johnny had spent the monies given for what they were intended for. What they did not know was that I had actually read Ray Ellis’ book on Johnny’s exploits complete with pictures of his “outings” (see photograph below of Johnny and his group playing golf at Spanish Bay, an exclusive club on 17 Mile Road near Carmel in California when he was supposed to be in Africa for the endangered batum puma). I have plenty more, plenty so while I will be a little more savvy about whether I will hear from dear Johnny that is that.            




No comments:

Post a Comment