Saturday, August 10, 2019

WARS ABROAD, WARS AT HOME Image result for MLK Beyond VietnamFifty years ago, MLK said: “As I have walked among the desperate, rejected, and angry young men…

WARS ABROAD, WARS AT HOME

Image result for MLK Beyond VietnamFifty years ago, MLK said:
“As I have walked among the desperate, rejected, and angry young men…  I have tried to offer them my deepest compassion while maintaining my conviction that social change comes most meaningfully through nonviolent action. But they asked, and rightly so …if our own nation wasn’t using massive doses of violence to solve its problems, to bring about the changes it wanted. Their questions hit home, and I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today: my own government. For the sake of those boys, for the sake of this government, for the sake of the hundreds of thousands trembling under our violence, I cannot be silent…   “A true revolution of values will soon look uneasily on the glaring contrast of poverty and wealth…  A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death…  "Beyond Vietnam" April 4, 1968

No comments:

Post a Comment