Tuesday, January 20, 2009

*A Greg Brown Encore-“Covenant”

Click on title to link to YouTube's film clip of Greg Brown (with producer Bo Ramsey) performing "Dream City".

CD Review

Covenant, Greg Brown, produced by Bo Ramsey, Red House Records, 2000


The first two paragraphs have been used in other reviews of folk musician/singer/songwriter Greg Brown’s work.

Greg Brown is a particular kind of folk singer who before I listened to his “Greg Brown-The Live One ” album reviewed elsewhere in this space I had not really paid attention to since the days of my early youth when I listened intently to Woody Guthrie whose songs were seemingly forged from the very heart of Americana. As a child of the urban folk revival of the 1960’s I got caught up in listening to the more political message songs provided by the likes of Bob Dylan or Phil Ochs. As a poet/singer/songwriter Greg has come out of the heartland of America, like Woody, in a fury to write and sing his tales of love, remembrance, tragedy, desperation and, on occasion, just pure whimsy. He is thus in very good company, and belongs there.

His songs evoke, under more modern conditions to be sure, the days gone by when the community spirit of small town life meant something. A strong bass voice grainy with the trials and tribulations of life lend authenticity to his words, as does strong guitar playing when necessary. Needless to say the variety of topics covered in his songs speak for themselves from Grandma's food cellars to vanishing Iowa family farms to sweaty nights of lovemaking entwined with the up and down battles of love and, of course, the ubiquitous bouts of fishing that gain more than a nod in his albums.

Outstanding here are “dream city”, “pretty one more time”, and “waiting on you”.
As always Greg is on top when singing about the seamy side of life, love and the mysteries of human existence out in the heartland.

Waiting on You

waiting on you waiting on you
is about all i do
another night another day
i'm waiting on you
& i don't know why i
keep waiting on you

make up your mind make up your mind
why don't you
it'd be kind it'd be kinder
you know it's true
& i don't know why i
keep waiting on you

yes or no yes or no
what's it gonna be
i can't live on dreams & maybe
& i don't know why i
keep waiting on you

one of these days i'm gonna go away from this
without a why without a cry without a kiss
then you'll know what it is with this deal
then you'll feel what it is that i feel
& even if you don't
at least i won't
be waiting on you


Living in a Prayer
everybody looks like someone i just saw five minutes ago
if i looked too far in the mirror i know i'd have to run
from copper harbour way down to acapulco
where the sun shines on the moon & the moon gives it back to everyone
i'm living in a prayer

every time i turn around some ghost wants to buy me a beer
feel like i'm living in a trashy novel where plot's the only thing
the fire's out the smoke has blown but still nothing is clear
i could swear it's a summer day but then why am i freezing
i should be there

why god let us meet at this time i have no idea
maybe i have paid for my sins by now or i don't have long to live
the meadowlark's song in the evening is not as sweet as the one you sing to me
i will dig deep in my pockets
see what boyhood treasures i can give
you should be here
i should be there
long as i'm in your heart
i'm living in a prayer


Dream City
i'm living in dream city
lost in dreams of you
i'm living in dream city
dreaming is all i do
they're gonna cut off my water
unplug my telephone
if i don't stop my dreaming
i will be out on the street alone

i'm living in dream city
dreaming i'm holding you near
& this is where i'll be
until you give me
a ride out of here

it's such a fine city
i'm running down the halls
it's a red wine city
i'm bumping into walls
i'm living in a palace
i go from room to room
close my eyes & see you
i'm just chasing your perfume

i'm living in dream city
& the rent is rising fast
i'm living in dream city
i don't know how long i can last
if you had never hugged me
my feet would still touch the ground
if you had never kissed me
i'd be back in my hometown


Lullaby
i look at you & i think of bed
you move so cool & freely
& i know what's going on in your head
oh babe you make me sleepy

& we've been married all these years
we know each other deeply
& oh my dear oh my dear
you still make me sleepy

the children they are nearly grown
& ain't they turned out sweetly
they're out tonight & we're alone
& oh babe you make me sleepy

i know your stories you know mine
but tell that one again to me
about the wet woods & the red wine
oh babe it makes me sleepy

you make me feel like lying down
let your hair down completely
when you pull on that raggedyass old cotton nightgown
oh babe you make me sleepy

since we first met & i gave you that twirl
i know nothing can defeat me
not as long as you're my girl
oh babe you make me sleepy

& in your arms i sleep so fine
so well do you meet me
& you can wake me any time
oh babe i ain't that sleepy


Blue Car
i'm driving my blue car baby
down from the mountain so high
i'm driving my blue car baby
coming down to say goodbye

the sunrise is a miracle
but it can't hold a candle to you
do you remember them rides in my blue car
back when it was brand new

well it's a good old car
but the clutch is a little loose
and the brakes are screaming
a song called what's the use
but it's good for one more trip
one more trip to you

the lightning's meant to strike
the tall pine trees
& the birds are meant to cry
& wheel in the breeze
but some things baby
i guess they just ain't meant to be

when i get back up on the mountain
i'll close my door against the wind
i'll park my old blue car
i may fall down the mountain
but i will never fall in love again


Walkin' Daddy
i'm walkin' daddy in the steps that you put down
i'm walkin' daddy & i know not where I'm bound

i'm walkin' daddy this road is dark & long
i'm walkin' daddy & your blood is in me strong

i'm walkin' daddy where the jack's fork river bends
down in missouri where the jack's fork river bends
with you & ma & my sister & with all my dear friends

you're walkin' daddy off through the woods you old hillbilly
you said "this is my son in whom I am well pleased"

ain't no road a good road until it's free to everyone
we're walkin' daddy father holy ghost & son

ain't no sorrow can dim the love comes shining through
i'm walkin' daddy I know what I am here to do

to be of use try to help the deal along
i'm walkin' daddy & i'm just gonna keep walkin' on


Pretty One More Time
all the leaves are turning
& the fields are clear
there's a fire burning
i wish you were here

pretty one more time
pretty one more time
before we're down the line
pretty one more time

& the light is raining
from a midwest sky
i'm all through explaining
goodbye to goodbye

it's getting dark so early
i walked all afternoon
all i see so clearly
will be gone so soon

& a dim light beckons
from a roadside bar
i'll stop in i reckon
i have already come this far

find a place by the window
i've been here before
babe don't be a no-show
come on through that door

i'll write you a letter
i know you feel the fall
things may not get better
but we can always stall

No comments:

Post a Comment