Monday, January 19, 2009

*The Poet’s Game- The Music Of Folk’s Greg Brown- “44 &66”

Click on title to link to YouTube's film clip of Greg Brown performing "Canned Goods".

CD Review

44&66, Greg Brown , Red House Records, 1984

Revised December 19, 2008


The first two paragraphs have been used in other reviews of folk musician/singer/songwriter Greg Brown’s work.

Greg Brown is a particular kind of folk singer who before I listened to his “Greg Brown-The Live One ” album reviewed elsewhere in this space I had not really paid attention to since the days of my early youth when I listened intently to Woody Guthrie whose songs were seemingly forged from the very heart of Americana. As a child of the urban folk revival of the 1960’s I got caught up in listening to the more political message songs provided by the likes of Bob Dylan or Phil Ochs. As a poet/singer/songwriter Greg has come out of the heartland of America, like Woody, in a fury to write and sing his tales of love, remembrance, tragedy, desperation and, on occasion, just pure whimsy. He is thus in very good company, and belongs there.

His songs evoke, under more modern conditions to be sure, the days gone by when the community spirit of small town life meant something. A strong bass voice grainy with the trials and tribulations of life lend authenticity to his words, as does strong guitar playing when necessary. Needless to say the variety of topics covered in his songs speak for themselves from Grandma's food cellars to vanishing Iowa family farms to sweaty nights of lovemaking entwined with the up and down battles of love and, of course, the ubiquitous bouts of fishing that gain more than a nod in his albums.

Outstanding here are the ironically evocative “Bozo’s In Love Again”, the heartland small town tribute “Early”, and the prophetic “Beatniks Gonna Rise Again”. As always Greg is on top when singing about the seamy side of life, love and the mysteries of human existence out in the heartland.


"Jesus & Elvis"

Jesus had some water, said "Wine'd be better yet".
Elvis picked up a guitar and made all women wet.

Elvis he died young - Jesus he died younger.
Elvis died of too much - Jesus died of hunger.

Jesus sang down through the ages: "Do like you'd have'em
do you".
Elvis rocked the universe with be-bop-a-lu-la -

Now here they are on black velvet, in a parking lot in
Missouri -
rocking my soul with rock'n'roll, soulful harmony.

Jesus went back to heaven to be the King of Kings,
but I hear the King of Rock'n'Roll is still restlessly
roaming.

Go on home to Jesus, El - he's waiting there you'll find.
You two can jam on old gospel songs - them are the best
kind.


"Ballingall Hotel"

I said I'd never come to this ugly old hotel again.
Baby, here I am.

I said I'd never knock again on # 22
Baby, how are you?

Some nights something grabs you and
you don't even know what it is.
Give me a kiss.

Leave that black slip on and dance just like you
did last time.
I'm so glad your plans for leaving fell through -
just like mine.

Ain't no air conditioning, the ceiling fan don't work
too well.
Guess we'll have to sweat it out again at the
Ballingal Hotel.

One night I knocked on the wrong door
and myself as an old man answered - so drunk
and so poor.

I said I'd never come again to this ugly old hotel -
but what the hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment