Monday, January 19, 2009

*The Poet's Game- The Early Work Of Folk's Greg Brown

Click on title to link to YouTube's film clip of song writer Richard Thompson performing his song "1952 Vincent Black Lightning". Sorry I could not find a cover done by Greg Brown on this song.

CD Review

Greg Brown-The Live One, Greg Brown, Red House Records, 1991

Revised December 19, 2008


Greg Brown is a particular kind of folk singer who before I listened to his “Greg Brown-The Live One ” album reviewed elsewhere in this space I had not really paid attention to since the days of my early youth when I listened intently to Woody Guthrie whose songs were seemingly forged from the very heart of Americana. As a child of the urban folk revival of the 1960’s I got caught up in listening to the more political message songs provided by the likes of Bob Dylan or Phil Ochs. As a poet/singer/songwriter Greg has come out of the heartland of America, like Woody, in a fury to write and sing his tales of love, remembrance, tragedy, desperation and, on occasion, just pure whimsy. He is thus in very good company, and belongs there.

His songs evoke, under more modern conditions to be sure, the days gone by when the community spirit of small town life meant something. A strong bass voice grainy with the trials and tribulations of life lend authenticity to his words, as does strong guitar playing when necessary. Needless to say the variety of topics covered in his songs speak for themselves from Grandma's food cellars to vanishing Iowa family farms to sweaty nights of lovemaking entwined with the up and down battles of love and, of course, the ubiquitous bouts of fishing that gain more than a nod in his albums.

Outstanding here are “Billy From The Hills” a tribute to his father, “Boomtown” a quasi-political song about turning the American Mountain West into the same kind of upscale tourist trap/strip mall as we find on the coasts and the inevitable paean to love’s twists and turns in “You Drive Me Crazy”. I want to pay special attention to "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" the semi-tragic story of outlaw motorcycle love. I would argue that this is one of the great modern love songs. If you grew up in the 1950's and early 1960's you are familiar with this theme in the pop music genre. Christ, you could not get away from the theme of a dying young lover who passed away in every conceivable manner, although car wrecks seemed to have been the most popular way.

Here Brown turns this whole concept around in his tribute to the bike and to the outlaw who ultimately is redeemed by giving the keys to his cherished bike to his Red Molly. If that is not modern love then nothing is. All to his steady guitar beat that gives one the feeling of a motorcycle going through its gears. I have since found out, and correct me if I am wrong, that Greg did not write this song, although I will bet many a dollar that he wishes that he had. (Hats off to Richard Thompson for his efforts). Moreover, this is exactly his kind of song and his performance makes it his own. Listen on.


ARTIST: Richard Thompson
TITLE: 1952 Vincent Black Lightning
Lyrics and Chords


Said Red Molly to James that's a fine motorbike
A girl could feel special on any such like
Said James to Red Molly, well my hat's off to you
It's a Vincent Black Lightning, 1952
And I've seen you at the corners and cafes it seems
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme
And he pulled her on behind
And down to Box Hill they did ride

/ A - - - D - / - - - - A - / : / E - D A /
/ E - D A - / Bm - D - / - - - - A - - - /

Said James to Red Molly, here's a ring for your right hand
But I'll tell you in earnest I'm a dangerous man
I've fought with the law since I was seventeen
I robbed many a man to get my Vincent machine
Now I'm 21 years, I might make 22
And I don't mind dying, but for the love of you
And if fate should break my stride
Then I'll give you my Vincent to ride

Come down, come down, Red Molly, called Sergeant McRae
For they've taken young James Adie for armed robbery
Shotgun blast hit his chest, left nothing inside
Oh, come down, Red Molly to his dying bedside
When she came to the hospital, there wasn't much left
He was running out of road, he was running out of breath
But he smiled to see her cry
And said I'll give you my Vincent to ride

Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
Beats a 52 Vincent and a red headed girl
Now Nortons and Indians and Greeveses won't do
They don't have a soul like a Vincent 52
He reached for her hand and he slipped her the keys
He said I've got no further use for these
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome
Swooping down from heaven to carry me home
And he gave her one last kiss and died
And he gave her his Vincent to ride

No comments:

Post a Comment