Monday, November 16, 2015

*I Like My Liquor In Costa Rica- The Blues Of Taj Mahal

Click on the headline to link to a "YouTube" film clip of Taj Mahal performing his "Mail Box Blues."

CD Review

Shoutin’ In Key; Taj Mahal and the Phantom Blues Band, Taj Mahal and various musicians, Kan-Du Records, 2000


Okay, okay about a year or so ago when I was reviewing every possible blues artist that ever hit the pavements in the 20th century I mentioned, in a review of an old film documentary of country blues artists, including Son House and Bukka White, that was hosted by Taj Mahal that I needed to do a separate review on his important blues contribution. Well here I finally get around to putting paid on that pledge, although this CD with his one time Phantom Blues Band represents only one aspect of his work.

The important thing to note about Taj is that although he is well-versed in the old country tunes, witness the cover of the country blues classic "Corrina, Corrina" here, and of the electric blues long identified with Chicago, witness his own “Mail Box Blues,” he is also one of the exemplars of the Carib blues beat that is closely associated with the New Orleans blues tradition. Check out his “Every Wind In The River” on that score. Of course, given his West Indian roots this is to be expected but it also means that he is not easily categorized. This mix comes out more fully in other albums that I will review later but I will just alert the reader to that influence here.

Note: I have seen Taj Mahal in concert on many occasions and in many venues; folk, blues, and rock. Sometimes he will blow you away with his musical energy. Other times he has seemed to lack direction and clarity about what he was trying to present. That is not true here and I believe that his band composed of well thought of musicians is the key to keeping things tight.


Lyrics to Corrina :

I got a bird what whistles, baby got a bird
Honey got a bird ... it would sing, baby got a bird
Honey got a bird ... it would sing
Without my Corrina, sure don't mean ..., sure don't mean a natural thing

I learned to love you baby, honey for I call
Baby for I call your name, baby for I call
Honey for I call your name, I love you Corrina
It sure don't mean, it sure don't mean a natural thing

Have mercy, have mercy, baby on my hard luck
Honey on my hard luck soul, baby on my hard luck
Honey on my hard luck soul

I got a rainbow round my shoulder
Looks like silver, shines like Klondike1 gold

Well I love you honey, honey tell the world, baby tell the world I do
Honey tell the world I do, baby tell the world I do
Ain't no woman in fourteen counties, love me baby like the way I do

I got a bird what whistles, baby got a bird
Honey got a bird ... it would sing, baby got a bird
Honey got a bird ... it would sing
Without Corrina, sure don't mean, sure don't mean a natural thing

Corrina, Corrina, Corrina

No comments:

Post a Comment