Saturday, October 13, 2018

*On The 80th Anniversary Of The Founding Of The Leon Trotsky-Led Fourth International (1938)- Writer's Corner- The Political Writings Of Victo Serge

Click on title to link to Victor Serge's Internet Archives. Serge was an important addition to the international communist movement coming over from the pre-World War I anarchist movement. His political fate at the end is murky, to say the least. What is not murky is his defense of the non-revolutionary actions of Andreas Nin and the POUM in Spain in the course of the revolution there in the 1930's. More later.

Victor Serge 1936

Victor Serge to Leon trotsky

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: Victor Serge & Leon Trotsky, La Lutte Contre le Stalinisme. Maspero, Paris, 1977;
Translated: for marxists.org by Mitch Abidor;
CopyLeft: Creative Commons (Attribute & ShareAlike) marxists.org 2005.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 14, 1936

Dear Leon Davidovich:

I am worried about you. Write me a few words. What is happening?

I wrote to you yesterday. I asked if you’d received one of my previous letters.

I believe that they are in the process of preparing the physical liquidation of Zinoviev and the others, and I am very much afraid for many of our comrades. I reacted immediately. I wrote a denial that will be sent to the press in the name of the Belgian and French organizations, as well as an article. I don’t have a copy; you’ll see it in the press.

The passivity of our comrades in the face of the repression in the USSR was a crime. We have to finally shake ourselves. Demand this from everyone. It is extremely regrettable that there is practically no more Secretariat. I am undertaking a campaign with all my strength against the repression, wherever and however I can.

I cordially and firmly shake your hands, yours and N.I.’s. [1]

V.S.

Would it be possible to widely distribute in America or England the chapter of my manuscript entitled: “1935, year of terror,” pages 34 to 39?


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Trotsky’s wife, Natalia

No comments:

Post a Comment